Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List the files whole length is < 5 in a directory Post 302437635 by itkamaraj on Thursday 15th of July 2010 03:49:29 PM
Old 07-15-2010
Code:
ls -l | awk '{ if (length($8) < 5) print $8}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To list files only in a directory

Hi all, I want to list all the files in a directory but not present in the subdirectories. I want the name of each file with its full pathname. ls /opt/cems/log/cemsdbg/db/* /opt/cems/log/cemsdbg/db/securitydb_backup_2009_01_12_06:00:54.log /opt/cems/log/cemsdbg/db/standby_monitor.sql... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipashre
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files and display only directory list containing those files

I have a directory (and many sub dirs beneath) on AIX system, containing thousands of file. I'm looking to get a list of all directory containing "*.pdf" file. I know basic syntax of find command, but it gives me list of all pdf files, which numbers in thousands. All I need to know is, which... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: r7p
4 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

List Files and Directory

Use and complete the template provided. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data i need to list all files in date/time order that contain the word "alpha" but not the the word "beta". 2. Relevant equations find or ls ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeht
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find list of files from a list and copy to a directory

I will be very grateful if someone can help me with bash shell script that does the following: I have a list of filenames: A01_155716 A05_155780 A07_155812 A09_155844 A11_155876 that are kept in different sub directories within my current directory. I want to find these files and copy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files in a directory

Hi Experts, I need to list the files in a directory which have more than one lines Please help Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gwrm
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

List the files in a directory

Hi Experts, I need to list the files in a directory which have more than one lines All the files are csv format Please help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list all files in a directory

how do I list all files in a directory, showing only the name and the modification date and sorting them by their name? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: qparedes
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the files in directory

hi, i have so many files in my directory. for example $: ls abc.12 abc.23 abc.45 abc.56 abc.123 abc.343 abc.567 abc.345 like this. from this list, how to display only the files which ends with two numbers. If i give abc.*, it displays all the files. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy list of files from a keyword list to another directory

Hello, I have a folder with a massive amount of files, and I want to copy out a specific subset of the files to a new directory. I would like to use a text file with the filenames listed, but can't get it to work. The thing I'm hung up on is that the folder names in the path can and do have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: twjolson
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies
LS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     LS(1)

NAME
ls, lc - list contents of directory SYNOPSIS
ls [ -dlmnpqrstuFQ ] name ... lc [ -dlmnpqrstuFQ ] name ... DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, ls lists the contents of the directory; for each file argument, ls repeats its name and any other information requested. When no argument is given, the current directory is listed. By default, the output is sorted alphabetically by name. Lc is the same as ls, but sets the -p option and pipes the output through mc(1). There are a number of options: -d If argument is a directory, list it, not its contents. -l List in long format, giving mode (see below), file system type (e.g., for devices, the # code letter that names it; see intro(3)), the instance or subdevice number, owner, group, size in bytes, and time of last modification for each file. -m List the name of the user who most recently modified the file. -n Don't sort the listing. -p Print only the final path element of each file name. -q List the qid (see stat(3)) of each file; the printed fields are in the order path, version, and type. -r Reverse the order of sort. -s Give size in Kbytes for each entry. -t Sort by time modified (latest first) instead of by name. -u Under -t sort by time of last access; under -l print time of last access. -F Add the character / after all directory names and the character * after all executable files. -L Print the character t before each file if it has the temporary flag set, and - otherwise. -Q By default, printed file names are quoted if they contain characters special to rc(1). The -Q flag disables this behavior. The mode printed under the -l option contains 11 characters, interpreted as follows: the first character is d if the entry is a directory; a if the entry is an append-only file; D if the entry is a Unix device; L if the entry is a symbolic link; P if the entry is a named pipe; S if the entry is a socket; - if the entry is a plain file. The next letter is l if the file is exclusive access (one writer or reader at a time). The last 9 characters are interpreted as three sets of three bits each. The first set refers to owner permissions; the next to permissions to others in the same user-group; and the last to all others. Within each set the three characters indicate permission respectively to read, to write, or to execute the file as a program. For a directory, `execute' permission is interpreted to mean permission to search the directory for a specified file. The permissions are indicated as follows: r if the file is readable; w if the file is writable; x if the file is executable; - if none of the above permissions is granted. SOURCE
/src/cmd/ls.c /bin/lc SEE ALSO
stat(3), mc(1) LS(1)