Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grab characters following grep Post 302437305 by Korn0474 on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 02:51:47 PM
Old 07-14-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcwayx
Code:
awk '/Building/ {sub(/,/,"",$4); print $4}' urfile

Can you explain the syntax to me? Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and extract the characters after

Hi All, I have lines like below in a file A /u/ab/test1.dat A/u/ab/test2.dat A /u/bb/test3.dat A/u/cc/test4.dat I will need /u/ab/test1.dat /u/ab/test2.dat /u/bb/test3.dat /u/cc/test4.dat Pls help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumsup9
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to find one or more characters

Hi I am a little stuck using grep. I want to be able to find from a file all lines which have the sequence of characters t, followed by any character, followed by the characters ing. I have tried looking at the man pages for help, but did not understand it correctly (as it is not the most... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushhour
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?)

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running the following ruby script (output follows): >> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c Clouds AND Sun 57/33 - Mostly sunny and cool I want to just grab the "57/33" portion, but that's it. I don't want any other portion of the line. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible to grep a certain amount of characters?

I have a file similar to the following filler filler filler car 6 mazda filler filler filler filler car civic honda car rav 4 toyota filler filler If i do a "grep -i car file.txt" the output would be car 6 mazda car civic honda car rav 4 toyota however, i want to have the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep grab 19 letters from now or a full line

Hi, I have a file like this >hg19_chr1_123_456_+ asndbansbdahsjdbfsjhfghjdsghjdghjdjhdghjjdkhfsdkjfhdsjkdkjghkjdhgfjkhjfkf hasjgdhjsgfhjdsgfdsgfjhdgjhdjhdhjdfhjdfjgfdfbdghjbfjksdhfjsfdghjgdhjgfdjhgd jhgdfj >hg19_chr1_123_456_-... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep particular characters help

Hello folks i have file which is below, i want to extract last column of file that contains dm-21 or dm-13 or dm-N it show output like I have tried but i got this (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with ... matching more than 3 characters

I am trying to understand what the grep command in ubuntu is trying to do here. The contents of my test file is given below harsha@harsha-H67MA-USB3-B3:~/Documents$ cat data abcd efghi jklmno pqr stuv wxyz When I grep for 3 dots (...) without the parenthesis as follows I would expect the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I use grep to grab prime number output from my factor program?

I have a factor program that runs and outputs to stdout all the prime numbers that are specified in the given paramters, in this case 30000000-31000000. Command: factor/factor 30000000-31000000 Sample output: 30999979 = 30999979 30999980 = 2^2 5 11 140909 30999981 = 3 10333327... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)