Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting unix mail body with attachment Post 302437287 by methyl on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 01:51:44 PM
Old 07-14-2010
Code:
ux2dos test.txt | uuencode myattach.txt | mailx -m -s "Subject" myemail@domain.com

The "-m" switch is important. It came up on another post earlier.

The second parameter to "uuencode" is not required because output is to a pipe.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I write a HTML file in UNIX and sent it as a body of a mail

Hi, How can I write a HTML file in Unix. Once I do that, I want to send this file as a body of a mail, along with writing a subject for the mail I am sending through unix. How can that be done? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: diwa81
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending mails with attachment and also some text in mail body

Hi, Can some one help me with the syntax of the mailx that should send an attachment and also some text in the message body together. When I am using the following syntax it is not sending the attachment but only the message body. unix2dos -ascii $REPORTFILE | uuencode $PCFILE | mailx -s... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptan
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

attachment in unix mail

how to attach any file to send in a mail in UNIX (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arpitk
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX send mail with HTML message body and a binary attachment

I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command line switch to specify file name of a binary attachment 3. command line or input file to specify... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
4 Replies

5. AIX

Command line/Script to send E-mail with HTML body and binary attachment

I apoligize for the cross-post but I'm not getting much in the way of help in the dummies forum: I'm trying to script sending an e-mail message on an AIX 5.x server with the following requirements: 1. command line switch to specify file name containing message body in HTML format 2. command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: G-Man
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mail attachment with unix mail

Hi Could someone help me with the details on how to send an attachment through mail in unix. I have an html file in my unix machine and I want this to be send to some mail id, plese help with the steps. Regards Ajay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarboyana
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to attach text in body of email while sending mail with attachment

Hi, We have been trying to send mail with attachment and it is going fine, but when we try to attach a text to the body of the email, we find that the mail is going fine with the body text but the attachment is not going through. We are using ksh. The command that is successfull without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmathew99
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

send attachment and body in one mail using mailx

Hi, Our requirement is to send an attachment and content in a single mail. I am using the below command to send attachement. --------------------- (uuencode $exp_file $exp_file) |mailx -s "$email_subject" $EmailRecipients -------------------- I m not able to send any message in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail in UNIX with body and attachment(.txt) using sendmail command

Hi All, In my .ksh script, I am sending an email with body and attachment (.txt) using sendmail command. I am able to receive the attachement along with the body of the mail. But I am getting special characters along with the content in the .txt. Also the alignment is incorrect. Can you please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRR
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need syntax for mailing in UNIX by using html file as body and along with attachment

Hi All, I need a syntax for mailing in unix by using html code file output as body and along with attachment (without using mutt command) HTML code file : html1.txt Attachment : attach1.txt I was using the below codes but they are not working. ( cat html1.txt ; uuencode attach1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rokkesh
4 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode - encode a binary file uudecode - decode a file created by uuencode SYNOPSIS
uuencode [-m] [ file ] name uudecode [-o outfile] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
Uuencode and uudecode are used to transmit binary files over transmission mediums that do not support other than simple ASCII data. Uuencode reads file (or by default the standard input) and writes an encoded version to the standard output. The encoding uses only print- ing ASCII characters and includes the mode of the file and the operand name for use by uudecode. If name is /dev/stdout the result will be written to standard output. By default the standard UU encoding format will be used. If the option -m is given on the command line base64 encoding is used instead. Uudecode transforms uuencoded files (or by default, the standard input) into the original form. The resulting file is named name (or out- file if the -o option is given) and will have the mode of the original file except that setuid and execute bits are not retained. If out- file or name is /dev/stdout the result will be written to standard output. Uudecode ignores any leading and trailing lines. The program can automatically decide which of the both supported encoding schemes are used. EXAMPLES
The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it, uuencodes it and mails it to a user on another system. When uudecode is run on the target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which may then be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree. tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), uuencode(5) STANDARDS
This implementation is compliant with P1003.2b/D11. BUGS
If more than one file is given to uudecode and the -o option is given or more than one name in the encoded files are the same the result is probably not what is expected. The encoded form of the file is expanded by 37% for UU encoding and by 35% for base64 encoding (3 bytes become 4 plus control information). HISTORY
The uuencode command appeared in BSD 4.0. uuencode(1)