Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Selecting a range of Lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Selecting a range of Lines Post 302437190 by beinthemiddle on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 09:14:57 AM
Old 07-14-2010
@anchal_khare
It was just an example code which simulates my scenario. Thanks for the suggestion.

@dr.house
My system do not support grep with keyword -A. Unfortunately I cannot use it. But if I need to , I will get a GNU grep and will surely use ur suggestion. Thanks for your suggestion.

@rujuraha
Your suggestion worked fine for me. Lots Of Smiles :-) and Thank you.

@Franklin52
I am in the process of learning awk. Thanks for your suggestion. I will use it.

@alister,
I am a bit hesitant to use sed. I dont know exactly. Anyway thanks for ur suggestions.

Thanks All for those replies... I am able to go to the next level of my project. unix.com always rocks. Keep up the good work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting only few lines from many based on a common pattern

Hi, I have a file having some thousand records with the following sort of lines: Error: Failed to get order data Order: PO-BBBTGZE Error: No CLI Error: Failed to get order data Order: PO-SBDJUZA Order: PO-XBBIDEN Error: No CLI Error: Failed to get order data Order: PO-BBDJUTQ Order:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damansingh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting files between a user inputed date range

Hi all! I'm working on a KSH script to select files between a user inputed date range (stored in a variable) and then move them and unzip them. I'm stuck at how to get the files between the user inputed date range selected. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The files are as such: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting Lines on text file

Hi All, I am creating a script that sends log data from text files to a Database and I will like to read sugestions, as I think that there might be better ways to achive this than with my shell script; maybe perl or I don't know, but I will like to read some sugestions. The log is from... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: oconmx
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

about selecting lines

Hello , i got text file like that' C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\aa.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\thumb.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\vv\cc.jpg C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\ee.jpg C:\Users\Public\aa\Sample Pictures\cvswsr.jpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines with sed

Hi all, I have a file with special characters like this file1 691775025 ýÄqJ8^Z^Y{ 2004-08-23E P 100.00 45585025 0527541139295037342008-07-25OEP 100.00 6983025 ýB<9D>x<^F^Xb 2004-11-16SPP 100.00 I need a sed command to print the lines which don't have special characters.ie., only line 2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines of a file

Say I wanted to select the 5th line of a file without knowing the context of the file. Would I use grep and pipe it into wc or is there a more simple way of doing this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting lines using awk

I have a file which contains five hundred thousand lines (500,000). I want to select lines of every 1000 lines from that file using AWK. I can think something like this in bash as below: for lines in {0..500000..1000} do ........ ........ done But I want to use AWK. I do not know how to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting and deleting specific lines with condition

I have a set of data as below: The first field, $1 represent "|". The $3 (3rd field) and $6 (6th field) in my data file represent "number-molecule" which has arrangement as below: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjramana
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selecting highest value within a range

Within millions of lines of data, there are perhaps 20 "spikes" that are very narrow. I want only the highest value from each spike within a range of 10 rows. Possible? My data looks like this, 8 columns of integers, millions of rows. There are clear spikes when you graph columns. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: markymarkg123
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting lines having same values for first two columns

Hello to all. This is first post. Kindly excuse me if I do not adhere to any rules and regulations of this forum. I have a file containing some rows with three columns each per row(separeted by a space). There are certain rows for which first two columns have same value but the value in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manojmalhotra13
6 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

NAME
diff3 - Compares three files SYNOPSIS
diff3 [-e | -x | -E | -X | -3] file1 file2 file3 The diff3 command reads three versions of a file and writes to standard output the ranges of text that differ. OPTIONS
Creates an edit script for use with the ed command to incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3 (that is, the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3). Produces an edit script to incorporate only changes flagged ====. These are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (that is, changes that are flagged ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlap- ping lines from both files are inserted by the edit script, bracketed by <<<<<< and >>>>>> lines. The -E option is used by RCS merge to ensure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's attention. Produces an edit script to incorpo- rate only changes flagged ====3. DESCRIPTION
The diff3 command reads three versions of a file and writes to standard output the ranges of text that differ, flagged with the following codes: All three files differ. file1 differs. file2 differs. file3 differs. The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to match another file is indicated in one of these two ways in the out- put: Text is to be added after line number number1 in file, where file is 1, 2, or 3. Text in the range line number1 to line number2 is to be changed. If number1 = number2, the range may be abbreviated to number1. The original contents of the range follow immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, diff3 does not show the contents of the lower-numbered file, although it shows the location of the identical lines for each. NOTES
Editing scripts produced by the -e option cannot create lines consisting only of a single . (dot). EXAMPLES
To list the differences among three files, enter: diff3 fruit.a fruit.b fruit.c fruit.a, fruit.b, and fruit.c contain the following data: fruit.a: banana grape kiwi lemon mango orange peach pare fruit.b: apple banana grapefruit kiwi orange peach pear fruit.c: grape grapefruit kiwi lemon mango orange peach pear The output from diff3 shows the differences between these files as follows. (The comments on the right do not appear in the output.) ==== All three files are different. 1:1,2c - Lines 1 and 2 of the first file, fruit.a banana grape 2:1,3c - Lines 1 through 3 of fruit.b apple banana grapefruit 3:1,2c - Lines 1 and 2 of fruit.c grape grapefruit ====2 The second file, fruit.b, is different. 1:4,5c - Lines 4 and 5 are the same in fruit.a and fruit.c. 2:4a 3:4,5c - To make fruit.b look the same, add text after line 4. lemon mango ====1 The first file, fruit.a, is different. 1:8c pare 2:7c - Line 7 of fruit.b and line 8 of fruit.c are the same. 3:8c pear FILES
Helper program. SEE ALSO
Commands: bdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), ed(1) diff3(1)