Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5 Post 302437092 by njoroge on Wednesday 14th of July 2010 05:35:25 AM
Old 07-14-2010
Thanks JGT,

I tried to do some amendment on tunable parameters but didn't achieve. The scenerio is:-
1.) One user cannot login more than 4 times.
2.) whenever i try to print big reports the print job disappears but small print jobs prints.
3.) sometimes when trying to login system responds with systems does not close the session completely.
Which parameters am i supposed to change on tunable parameters. am running foxplus 2.1.1

regards
Njoroge Joseph
Smilie

---------- Post updated at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:36 AM ----------

Thanks JGT,

I tried to do some amendment on tunable parameters but didn't achieve. The scenerio is:-
1.) One user cannot login more than 4 times.
2.) whenever i try to print big reports the print job disappears but small print jobs prints.
3.) sometimes when trying to login system responds with systems does not close the session completely.
Which parameters am i supposed to change on tunable parameters. am running foxplus 2.1.1

regards
Njoroge Joseph

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Endless loop - Fork function failed?

I need a quick script that will serve as a sort of "real time monitor" for watching some log files. I am using Bourne shell in HP-UX 10.20. I have basically created a script that never ends, unless of course I manually terminate it. Here's the script (it's called qhistory): clear echo "REAL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot fork , too many process - SCO Unix 5.05

I need a help... I have a HP Netserver LH 6000 U with Hardware Raid . Sco 5.0.5 installed with Oracle database. Total number of users, normally logged in are around 60 nos. The system is very slow ( takes 6 hours for processing one Lakh bills) during the Billing process. Also it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saleeshpl
1 Replies

3. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

5. Programming

Fork thread, Assertion failed. X11.

Hi all. I wrote a program with the Motif Widget Toolkit. It has a button and a scrollbar. When the user hits the button the callback creates a new fork() thread. The new thread sleeps for a while and then changes the position of the scrollbar. It does this in an endless loop. I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

6. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork processes

Hi, How to count how many processes opened by fork function in perl. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

8. Programming

Creating more processes with fork()

Hello people I need help How to make ONE process to create MORE (not one) processes with fork(). I tried several codes but do not work. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekoj
8 Replies

9. AIX

Fork Function Failed on 4GB ?

Hello, I am running Oracle Database and after a while I keep getting this message whenever I execute any command. I cannot execute any command even shutdown, whenever I execute any command , I get this message /usr/bin/ksh: 0403-031 The fork function failed. There is not enough memory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making processes using fork

Can anyone help me with this? Create a parent process that gets from the command line n arguments arg1, arg2, ... , argn. The parent will create n/3 son processes, each of them will create a file with the name argi by concatenate the files argi+1 and argi+2. How can i concatenate those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bunicu01
1 Replies
norewind_close_disabled(5)					File Formats Manual					norewind_close_disabled(5)

NAME
norewind_close_disabled - determine whether access to tape device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option is allowed VALUES
Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
Note: this tunable was named in releases prior to HP-UX 11i v3. This tunable notifies the tape driver whether it should allow access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. When this tunable is on, the tape driver will fail any open on a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option (that is, or with a status of The tunable allows the safe sharing of tape devices in SAN tape backup solution configurations. The disabling of device special files without no-rewind-on-close in a SAN tape backup solution configuration prevents the accidental sending of a rewind command on close from HP-UX systems via standard tape commands like which would corrupt a backup in process. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Tunable Be Turned On? This tunable should be turned on if the system is going to be used in a SAN tape backup solution configuration. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable On? The tape driver will fail any open to a tape device special file that does not have the no-rewind-on-close option with a status of This behavior prevents the usage of any tape device special file without the no-rewind-on-close option. When Should the Tunable Be Turned Off? This tunable should be turned off if the system is not part of a SAN tape backup solution configuration or the system utilizes will not function unless it has access to device special files without the no-rewind-on-close option. What Are the Side Effects of Turning the Tunable Off? A rewind may be issued accidentally from this system on close, possibly corrupting a backup being issued from another system on the SAN. What Other Tunables Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. EXAMPLES
Query the current value of the tunable: Set the value of the tunable to To save the value of the tunable across reboots: WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
scsi_tape(7), scsimgr_estape(7). Tunable Kernel Parameters norewind_close_disabled(5)