Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable name change in a loop Post 302436876 by Scott on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 10:57:13 AM
Old 07-13-2010
Code:
for I in var1 var2 var3 ; do
  eval $I=\"Something calculated inside the loop\"
done

$ echo $var1
Something calculated inside the loop

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change if-else loop to while-do

Hello friends, i wrote a script which includes a couple of if-else loops but i have to change it to while-do loop as it is not allowed to use "break" in if-else loop in bash. #!/bin/bash -x NUM=`find . -name ufsdump_output1.txt | xargs egrep "End-of-tape detected"` if ; then echo "OK!"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable value dosent change after the loop changes it

i am new to shell scripting. this is similar to the code which i was writing for some other work. i want the variable 'x' to have the value which it will finally have at the end of the loop ( the number of directories ). but the value of 'x' only changes inside the loop and it remains '0' out-side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chathura666
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Variable Value from Multiple Scripts and Use these Variable

Hi to All, Please find below details. file_config.config export file1_status="SUCCESS" export file2_status="SUCCESS" file_one.sh I am calling another two shell script from these script. I need to pass individual two script status (If it's "FAILED") to file_main.sh. file_main.sh I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: div_Neev
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing variable with variable suffix through loop

I have a group of variables myLINEcnt1 - myLINEcnt10. I'm trying to printout the values using a for loop. I am at the head banging stage since i'm sure it has to be a basic syntax issue that i can't figure out. For myIPgrp in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do here i want to output the value of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change a field value in a loop

Hi guys, i have an executable file that contains several records and fields. One of the records has a variable filed that must be changed each time i want to execute the file. Would it be possible that i can use a loop to change the value of that field? Suppose that the field address is: Record... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doing a loop to change a value in a file

Hi, I have an N number of files in a directory. I like to write a shell script that would make identical plots for each one of these files. The files have names such as: t00001.dat t00002.dat t00003.dat t00004.dat t00005.dat . . . t00040.dat i.e. the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change argument in a for loop

In a "for i in *FD.CPY do" loop, I need to change .CPY to .layout so the executed command would be reclay blahFD.CPY >blahFD.layout What do I need to do to modify a copy of i to use after the > symbol? TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
5 Replies
continue(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      continue(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
continue - Skip to the next iteration of a loop SYNOPSIS
continue _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is typically invoked inside the body of a looping command such as for or foreach or while. It returns a TCL_CONTINUE code, which causes a continue exception to occur. The exception causes the current script to be aborted out to the innermost containing loop command, which then continues with the next iteration of the loop. Catch exceptions are also handled in a few other situations, such as the catch command and the outermost scripts of procedure bodies. EXAMPLE
Print a line for each of the integers from 0 to 10 except 5: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { if {$x == 5} { continue } puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break(1T), for(1T), foreach(1T), return(1T), while(1T) KEYWORDS
continue, iteration, loop ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl continue(1T)