Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5 Post 302436767 by njoroge on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 05:56:23 AM
Old 07-13-2010
Question -sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5

Dear experts,

I have done a re-installation of sco unix openserver 5.0.5 and managed to create users. The problem am facing is that of one user logging in more than 5 times. How can i overcome this problem. the system give the error below.
-sh: fork failed - too many processes in sco unix 5.0.5. how do i change the parameters to accept more users.

Regards,

Njoroge Joseph

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Endless loop - Fork function failed?

I need a quick script that will serve as a sort of "real time monitor" for watching some log files. I am using Bourne shell in HP-UX 10.20. I have basically created a script that never ends, unless of course I manually terminate it. Here's the script (it's called qhistory): clear echo "REAL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot fork , too many process - SCO Unix 5.05

I need a help... I have a HP Netserver LH 6000 U with Hardware Raid . Sco 5.0.5 installed with Oracle database. Total number of users, normally logged in are around 60 nos. The system is very slow ( takes 6 hours for processing one Lakh bills) during the Billing process. Also it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saleeshpl
1 Replies

3. Programming

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n", getpid(),... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_dot
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork() and child processes

Hello, How many child processes are actually created when running this code ? #include <signal.h> #include <stdio.h> int main () { int i ; setpgrp () ; for (i = 0; i < 10; i++) { if (fork () == 0) { if ( i & 1 ) setpgrp () ; printf ("Child id: %2d, group: %2d\n",... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green_dot
1 Replies

5. Programming

Fork thread, Assertion failed. X11.

Hi all. I wrote a program with the Motif Widget Toolkit. It has a button and a scrollbar. When the user hits the button the callback creates a new fork() thread. The new thread sleeps for a while and then changes the position of the scrollbar. It does this in an endless loop. I need the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
2 Replies

6. Programming

fork(), parent and child processes???

Hi friends, I have a small question regarding unix system call fork, I hope you will solve my problem. Here is the small program $ cat fork1.c #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> int main() { int pid; int x = 0; x = x + 1; pid = fork(); if(pid < 0) {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fork processes

Hi, How to count how many processes opened by fork function in perl. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

8. Programming

Creating more processes with fork()

Hello people I need help How to make ONE process to create MORE (not one) processes with fork(). I tried several codes but do not work. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nekoj
8 Replies

9. AIX

Fork Function Failed on 4GB ?

Hello, I am running Oracle Database and after a while I keep getting this message whenever I execute any command. I cannot execute any command even shutdown, whenever I execute any command , I get this message /usr/bin/ksh: 0403-031 The fork function failed. There is not enough memory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making processes using fork

Can anyone help me with this? Create a parent process that gets from the command line n arguments arg1, arg2, ... , argn. The parent will create n/3 son processes, each of them will create a file with the name argi by concatenate the files argi+1 and argi+2. How can i concatenate those... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bunicu01
1 Replies
unlockable_mem(5)						     OBSOLETE							 unlockable_mem(5)

NAME
unlockable_mem - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete and has been removed. Memory locking allows the privileged user to specify which pages need to remain in memory, and unaffected by the swap process. This fea- ture allows you to ensure that memory access times are unaffected by delays introduced by memory paging and swapping. For example, locking is a tool provided to privileged users on a system that is short on physical memory. Instead of having these privileged processes swap like the rest of the processes, they can lock portions of their address space. Once the pages are locked in for the privileged processes, they will no longer have to worry about memory contention. The unprivileged processes however, will have to compete for memory. provides you with a limiting factor on this privileged behavior, by setting the amount of memory which cannot be locked by user processes. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters unlockable_mem(5)