Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: space between two lines
Operating Systems Solaris space between two lines Post 302436751 by natraj005 on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 05:03:48 AM
Old 07-13-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurumi
use bash
Code:
-bash-3.00$ bash line.sh

thnks kurumi its working , but some mischange . it delete the line after 3rd line and make it as a line space . .

input

Code:
-bash-3.00$ cat  test
hi how u doing
hi helloo how r u
today is sunday
k we will go out
what u r doing here
shall we go to home
k we will meet later
i will call u tonite
shall we go out

Code:

bash-3.00$ cat line.sh
#!/bin/bash
i=0
while read -r  LINE
do
  if [ "$i" -eq 3 ];then
    echo ""
    i=0
  else
    echo "$LINE"
    ((i++))
  fi
done < "test"

output

Code:

-bash-3.00$ bash line.sh
hi how u doing
hi helloo how r u
today is sunday

what u r doing here
shall we go to home
k we will meet later

shall we go out

my excepted output is

Code:
hi how u doing
hi helloo how r u
today is sunday

k we will go out
what u r doing here
shall we go to home

k we will meet later
i will call u tonite
shall we go out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

re: removing trailing space from lines

Not sure why this thread was closed without any explanation, but you can do what you're asking with sed 's/]*$//g' < sourceFile > destFile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oombera
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add new lines with a space in beginning

Hi file1.txt contains GigabitEthernet1/1 GigabitEthernet1/2 GigabitEthernet2/2 GigabitEthernet2/4 GigabitEthernet2/14 GigabitEthernet2/16 can anyone show me how to modify it as below. there is a space at the beginning of the next two lines . ie 'no shut' and 'switch..' !... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aejaz
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with space between strings

Hello all, I am having trouble with setting up a regular expression used with egrep. My script reads an input file a line at a time. I would like the egrep command to search for the following pattern: server name at the beginning of the line, then one or more spaces, and then a pound sign. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Galt
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove white space at the beginning of lines

Hi! I store some data obtained with grep or awk in a file. The problem is that some lines have white space at the begining : line1 line2 line3 I use something like grep WORD INFILE >> OUTFILE awk >> OUTFILE I would love if it were possible to remove the white whitout parsing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking long lines into (characters, newline, space) groups

Hello, I am currently trying to edit an ldif file. The ldif specification states that a newline followed by a space indicates the subsequent line is a continuation of the line. So, in order to search and replace properly and edit the file, I open the file in textwrangler, search for "\r " and... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings

Hi, Please provide shell script to Remove empty lines(space) between two lines containing strings in a file. Input File : A1/EXT "BAP_BSC6/07B/00" 844 090602 1605 RXOCF-465 PDTR11 1 SITE ON BATTERY A2/EXT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhakaryadav
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines between 2 strings add white space

I'm trying to extract all the lines between 2 strings (including the lines containing the strings) To make the strings unique I need to include white space if possible. I'm not certain how to do that. sed -n '/ string1 /,/string2/p' infile > outfile & (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
4 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Adding lines to pattern space

Is there any way to add lines to the pattern space of sed? I know a bit about the N flag, but am not able to use it to do what I want which is: read a file n lines at a time. If I find a match I quit else move to the next line. e.g. if I am looking for the following three lines Hello How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep line with all string in the lines and not space.

I want to write the syntax so does not count line with no space. So currerntly it is showing lines as 5, but i want to show 4. # cat /tmp/mediacheck | sort -u | grep -vi " " | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l BA7552 BAA002 BAA003 BAA004 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
6 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)