Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting open 2 files and compare values script - urgent Post 302436645 by inkyponky on Monday 12th of July 2010 06:10:44 PM
Old 07-12-2010
open 2 files and compare values script - urgent

Hi gurus

I have two csv files that are outputs. The file contains data similar to
Code:
s.no,number1,number2,date1  
--------------------------------
1, a123,482.29,11/28/07 13:00 
2,a124,602.7,9/24/07 14:00
3,a125,266.93,10/9/07 16.48
4,a126,785.15,11/14/07 16:08

<file 2>

Code:
s.no name date2 number1 bincode
-------------------------------------
1, el,  9/13/07,  a124,1
2,mg,12/1/06,a125,1
3,wh,3/7/07,a123,0
4,mr,11/24/06,a126,null

The script is to open these two files, compare if date1 is before (earlier) than 10/23/07 and if yes then bincode in file 2 should have 1. If not 1 or incorrectly set to 0 then print it in file3 called report. if date is later then have null or 0 value.

How to do this...

Last edited by vgersh99; 07-12-2010 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values between files

I have two files with same name residing in different directory. Each file has 14 columns. I want to compare column by column for each row. Also, have to take two columns as key identifier;pick a row in File1; retrieve the corresponding row from file2 and then compare the values. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to compare values on two CSV files

:( Hello, Having a problem with reading two files using awk/nawk, am new to both them. I need to compare field values between two csv files and arrange for an appropriate output if both the values are equal or not for each feild. $cat File1.csv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgop
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to open and compare csv files

We are testing an application that accesses two tables: A and B. I am to write a script to validate the ouput files of this application.The application marks any account that has become overdue as per rule. When it runs, it updates the overdue flag in the A table according to the following rules: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inkyponky
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files based on values of fields.

Hi All, I have two files and data looks like this: File1 Contents #Field1,Field2 Dist_Center_file1.txt;21 Dist_Center_file3.txt;20 Dist_Center_file2.txt;20 File2 Contents (*** No Header ***) Dist_Center_file1.txt;23 Dist_Center_file2.txt;20 Dist_Center_file3.txt;20 I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare to files and export only different values

Hello, I need to compare two files which have the following structure File1: No : 1 Name : George/Brown Value2 : type2 Value3 : type3 Date : Wed Oct 20 11:12:58 2010 Value : yes No : 2 Name : John/Cash Value2 :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two files. For matching rows print corresponding values from File 1 in File2.

- I have two files (File 1 and File 2) and the contents of the files are mentioned below. - I am trying to compare the values of Column1 of File1 with Column1 of File2. If a match is found, print the corresponding value from Column2 of File1 in Column5 of File2. - I tried to modify and use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santoshbn
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

LINUX - How to compare the values in 2 files & exit from the script

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to compare 2 files & if the values in the files match, it should proceed, else exit the script without proceeding further. For e.g : Scenario 1 In this case, the script should exit without proceeding further. Scenario 2 In this case, the script... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and compare values from different txt files

Hello, i am new in Bash. Actually i have a directory : /home/resultfiles and inside i have these txt files: 531_1.out.res, 531_2.out.res , 531_3.out.res 532_1.out.res, 532_2.out.res , 532_3.out.res 533_1.out.res, 533_2.out.res, 533_3.out.res All these txt files has this format : num_q all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimpoura
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files column values using awk

Judi # cat File1 judi /export/home 76 judi /usr 83 judi # judi # cat File2 judi /export/home 79 judi /usr 82 judi # if COLUMN3 of File2 is greater that COLUMN3 of File1, then print File2's lines juid /export/home 79 Code tags please (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: judi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values in two different files

Hello, I have output in one file that looks like: AA 3 BB 1 CC 3 DD 6 EE 2 FF 6 And output in another file that looks like: 1 EE 3 CC 2 AA I basically want to be able to match the counts in each file against the correct corresponding initials (and then obviosuly base a command on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nik44
7 Replies
test(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   test(1)

Name
       test - test conditional expression

Syntax
       test expr
       [ expr ]

Description
       The  command  evaluates the expression expr.  If the value of expr is true, the command returns a zero exit status; otherwise, it returns a
       nonzero exit status.  The command also returns a nonzero exit status if no arguments are specified.

Options
       The following primitives are used to construct expr:

-r file		   Tests if the file exists and is readable.

-w file		   Tests if the file exists and is writable.

-f file		   Tests if the file exists and is not a directory.

-d file		   Tests if the file exists and is a directory.

-s file		   Tests if the file exists and has a size greater than zero.

-t [ fildes ]	   Tests if the open file, whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default), is associated with a terminal device.

-z s1		   Tests if the length of string s1 is zero.

-n s1		   Tests if the length of the string s1 is nonzero.

s1 = s2		   Tests if the strings s1 and s2 are equal.

s1 != s2 	   Tests if the strings s1 and s2 are not equal.

s1		   Tests if s1 is not the null string.

n1 -eq n2	   Tests if number1 equals number2.

n1 -ge n2	   Tests if number1 is greater than or equal to number2.

n1 -gt n2	   Tests if number1 is greater than number2.

n1 -le n2	   Tests if number1 is less than or equal to number2.

n1 -lt n2	   Tests if number1 is less than number2.

n1 -ne n2	   Tests if number1 is not equal to number2.

These primitives can be combined with the following operators:

!expr		   Negates evaluation of expression.

expr -a expr	   Tests logical and of two expressions.

expr -o expr	   Tests logical or of two expressions.

( expr... )	   Groups expressions.

The -a operator takes precedence over the -o operator.  Note that all the operators and flags are separate  arguments  to  Note	also  that
       parentheses are meaningful to the Shell and must be escaped.

See Also
       find(1), sh(1), test(1sh5)

test(1)