Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit last parameter in a file Post 302436515 by Hesiod on Tuesday 13th of July 2010 04:23:18 AM
Old 07-13-2010
Edit last parameter in a file

I have a script in which I am trying to move some files.

Code:
find DIR1|awk -F/ '{print "mv " $0, $0}'|sed -e "s/${DIR1}/&.OLD/g" -e 's/.OLD//'

which gives me:

Code:
mv DIR1/abc DIR1.OLD/abc
mv DIR1/abc/tmp DIR1.OLD/abc/tmp

What I would like to do is change the command to print:

Code:
mv DIR1/abc DIR1.OLD/.
mv DIR1/abc/tmp DIR1.OLD/abc/.

Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

Thanks

---------- Post updated 13-07-10 at 09:19 ---------- Previous update was 12-07-10 at 13:21 ----------

I've worked out a way to do this - not as elegant as I would like, but it seems to work:

Code:
for i in `find DIR1`; do
do
  LAST=`echo $i|awk -F/ '{print $NF}'`
  echo $i|sed -e "s!${DIR1}!&@!" -e 's!^.*!mv & &!' -e 's!@!!' -e 's!@!.OLD!' -e "s/${LAST}$/./"
done

---------- Post updated at 09:23 ---------- Previous update was at 09:19 ----------

It should be:

Code:
echo $i|sed -e "s!${DIR1}!&@!" -e 's!^.*!mv & &!' -e 's!@!!' -e 's!@!.OLD
!' -e "s/${LAST}$/\/./"

Last edited by radoulov; 07-13-2010 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file edit help

Hi, Could anyone give me a idea how to strip the lines from a given file. example *********** 1st occurence 1st occurence 1st occurence 1st occurence *********** 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence 2nd occurence ************* 3rd occurence 3rd... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentak
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I make dynamic parameter names? Or get the value of a parameter evaluated twi

Say I write something like the following: var1=1 var2=2 for int in 1 2 do echo "\$var$int" done I want the output to be: 1 2 Instead I get something like: $var1 $var2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Awanka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit a .fs file

I have a .fs file that I want to edit, (or just be able to see what is in it) preferably through a windows environment. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiterboy
4 Replies

4. Linux

Parameter to edit in /etc/fstab in RH 8.0

Hi All, In RH 8.0, I am not able to mount USB pendrive. I know one method where in /etc/fstab is to be edited, so that it points to a directory /mnt/usb. After that it mount automatically. Unfortunately, i have forgotten the parameter to add in /etc/fstab-can anyone help me please? Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptlearner
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Edit the file content and create new file

I have a requirement, which is as follows *. Folder contains list of xmls. Script has to create new xml files by copying the existing one and renaming it by appending "_pre.xml" at the end. *. Each file has multiple <Name>fileName</Name> entry. The script has to find the first occurance of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudesh.ach
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit file

I have a file containing dates like below 2010 1 02 2010 2 01 2010 3 05 i want the dates to be like below 20100102 20100201 20100305 i tired using awk '{printf "%s%02s%02s",$1,$2,$3}' But it does not work,it puts all the dates in one line,i want them in seperate lines like the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Best way to edit a file

looking for a script or command to push out from a centralized machine to multiple machines. I have the software in place that will do this already, but I need to tell it what command to run on each machine with this file. what I need is a script or command to edit a file in a specific manner.... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: skunky
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command that takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in parameter

Hi I am looking for a unix command or a small shell script which can takes one parameter and then searches for the passed in the parameter in any or all files under say /home/dev/ Can anyone please help me on this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankaj80
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Edit file

Hi All, I have file with 200K Records and each line with 400 character. I need to edit the some part of the file. For example, i need to edit character from 115 to 125, 135to 145 and 344 to 361 Can you please anyone help me to do this? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the parameter value from the parameter file in perl?

hi all, i have a parameter file of following format, i want a method which can get the value of specific parameter. parameter file format: <Parameter Name="FileLocationWindows"> <Description> The directory location of the logger file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmikant.hcl
1 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)