Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script stop working
Operating Systems AIX Shell script stop working Post 302436381 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 11th of July 2010 10:56:55 AM
Old 07-11-2010
No. The OS is fine.

Something in the envrionment changed

Code:
find /dir1/dir2/ ! -name . -prune -name "s*.txt" -type f -mtime +1 -exec echo {} \; | wc -w 2&>1 > /mypath/to/log/cron.log

read the cron.log file to find your problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stop Prstat using shell script

How to stop the Prstat using shell script ? because after i run the below script the thing seems to be always in loop and cannot get out till i ctrl + c, is there anything that i can add in the script to make it terminate ? <code> #!/bin/sh prstat -Tc -u testing > testing.txt </code> ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: filthymonk
19 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stop a shell script

Hi, I am writing a bash shell script. How can I tell it to stop. For example, I would like to have something similar to the following: mike=1 if ; then STOP THE SCRIPT fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone know?: How the 'for'-loop could stop working in interactive bash shell?!

It is happening with my sessions already second time: a 'for'-loop for some reason stop to work as expected. That means or it is looping without exitting, or it is not loop even once. Here example of my try when it is not processing even one loop. You can see, I start new subshell and... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to stop asking password while running shell script?

Hello, I am ftping the file from one unix box to another box. This script works fine. Only problem here is, it is asking the password when ftp the file. How can i stop that. I am providing the password inside the shell script. But it is not accepting this. I need to put this script in crontab.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with stop/start Shell Script.

Hi All, I would like to develop a shell script for stop & start an application server (1-4) on Solaris box. Here are the user requirements for this task. 1. User will input the option which server they wish to stop. 2. Will clear cache files from specific location. 3. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venga
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX stop script not working

I have a AIX stop script file "stop_service_mail_DE_P" which is as follwoing ( if then sleepforvalue=$(cat stopfileparam|grep sleepperiod|awk -F= '{print $2}') targetdir=$(cat stopfileparam|grep targetdir|awk -F= '{print $2}') touch $targetdir/stop_b2bgate_service_mail_de_p_p sleep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yashoda avvaru
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password in shell script for apps stop

Hi folks, I am running a shell script it asks for username and password to stop some service, I need to write some script that it will read username and password from my shell script and then sucessfully stop services without prompting username/password query. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to stop and start server

Hi, I need to create a shell script for automated server patching, with the following scenario: I have two Linux servers Primary and secondary. Server patching should start on Primary 1st and then secondary. 1st check both servers are up and running. Then stop primary and patching will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcroyal88
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to stop a shell script if it encounters a error?

I am writing a bash shell script for GarazLab's "WP EMAIL CRAWLER - AUTO SCRAPER & REAL TIME EXTRACTOR". it contains some commands. I want to stop the shell execution as soon as it encounters an error. how to do it? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tahsin352
8 Replies
cron(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)