Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: a problem with large files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting a problem with large files Post 302436291 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 10th of July 2010 01:50:08 PM
Old 07-10-2010
Do you know the to and from line no of the file which you want to print??

because cat file will be really slow if file has 3 million records please avoid that.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in processing a very large file.

Hi Friends, Getting an error while processing a very large file using an sqlloader........ The file is larger than 2 GB. Now need to change the compiler to 64-bit so that the file can be processed. Is there any command for the same. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rohini Vijay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with 0 byte and large files

how to remove all zero byte files in a particular directory and also files that are morew than 1GB. pLEASE let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Large file FTP problem

We are experiencing a problem on a lengthy data transfer by FTP through a firewall. Since there are two ports in use on a ftp transfer (data and control), one sits idle while the other's transfering data. The idle port (control) will get timed out and the data transfer won't know that it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprajendran
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using find with prune on large number of files

Hi all; I'm having a problem when want to list a large number of files in current directory using find together with the prune option. First i used this command but it list all the files including those in sub directories: find . -name "*.dat" | xargs ls -ltr Then i modified the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashikin_8119
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file problem

I have a large file, around 570 gb that I want to copy to tape. However, my tape drive will load only up to 500 gb. I don't have enough space on disk to compress it before copying to tape. Can I compress and tar to tape in one command without writing a compressed disk file? Any suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iancrozier
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large Problem with nautilus

Hi, I am a torrent-maniak and I use Transmission. All things were good but Nautilus begun to show problem while I was runnning Transmission.Its situation was becoming worse and worse. Now, when I boot I can hardly open a nautilus window and browse my files.It will "stack" in seconds for sure! I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide large data files into smaller files

Hello everyone! I have 2 types of files in the following format: 1) *.fa >1234 ...some text... >2345 ...some text... >3456 ...some text... . . . . 2) *.info >1234 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

A Large Percent Problem

Hello everyone, I have two matrices at same sizes. I need to re-calculate the numbers in matrix A according to the percentages in martix B it is like matrix A is 10.00 20.00 30.00 40.00 60.00 70.00 80.00 90.00 20.00 30.00 80.00 50.00 martix B is 00.08 00.05 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
2 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)