Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and analyze variable Strings in a large file. Post 302436118 by radoulov on Friday 9th of July 2010 08:39:42 AM
Old 07-09-2010
We need more information in order to locate the file name, could you post a bigger sample of the data file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

To find multiple strings count in a file

I need to find the line count of multiple strings in a particular file. The strings are as follows: bmgcc bmgccftp bsmsftp bulkftp cctuneftp crbtftp crmpos cso gujhr I am doing manual grep for each of the string to find the line count. The command i am using right now is: grep mark... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salaathi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find common Strings in two large files

Hi , I have a text file in the format DB2: DB2: WB: WB: WB: WB: and a second text file of the format Time=00:00:00.473 Time=00:00:00.436 Time=00:00:00.016 Time=00:00:00.027 Time=00:00:00.471 Time=00:00:00.436 the last string in both the text files is of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find line number of bad data in large file

Hi Forum. I was trying to search the following scenario on the forum but was not able to. Let's say that I have a very large file that has some bad data in it (for ex: 0.0015 in the 12th column) and I would like to find the line number and remove that particular line. What's the easiest... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and replace txt between two strings in flat file

Hi There... I need to serach and replace strngs in a text file. My file has; books.amazon='Let me read' news.bestseller='xyz' expected output is books.amazon=NONFOUND news.bestseller=NONFOUND Can I first find the text between string1= books.amazon=' and string2= ' (locate the text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiano
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find word in a large file

Hi all I am working on disallowing users to use easy passwords in pam.d setting on RHEL 5.7 and SuSe 11, and I was hoping to add more words into the current cracklib dict, so I use "echo" command to append new words into the file I dont want to add the same words into the dict, I think I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file, extract two another strings and concatenate to a variable

I have a file with <suit:run date="Trump Tue 06/19/2012 11:41 AM EDT" machine="garg-ln" build="19921" level="beta" release="6.1.5" os="Linux"> Need to find word "build" then extract build number, which is 19921 also release number, which is 6.1.5 then concatenate them to one variable as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garg
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find position of character in multiple strings in a file

Greetings. I have a file with information like this: AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEOEU? AMNDHRKEEU?AMNDHREOEU? AMNDHREU?AHRKEOEU?AMNDHRKEU?AMNDKEOEU? What I need to extract is the position, in every line, of every occurrence of '?' A desired output would be something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
6 Replies

8. Solaris

How to find multiple strings on different lines in file?

Hello, I have spent considerable amount of time breaking my head on this and reached out here. here is the back ground. OS - Solaris 10 There are two strings '<Orin>sop' and '<Dup>two' which I wanted to look for in a file without the quotes on different lines and ONLY if both strings are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keithTait309875
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't input large file to variable

I have a file that I'm trying to place into a variable. I've tried the following: DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` filez=$(cat /tmp/Test_$DATE.txt)DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` filez=$(</tmp/Test_$DATE.txt)DATE=`date +%Y%m%d` filez=$(`cat /tmp/Test_$DATE.txt`)None of these lines allows the file to go into the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)