Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash variable delayed expansion? Post 302436046 by pludi on Friday 9th of July 2010 04:55:39 AM
Old 07-09-2010
  1. To use the output of a command, use $(), or the older backticks `. Regular quotes won't work.
  2. Variables are used by prefixing them with a dollar symbol
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash - delay expansion of variable

Hello - I have a bash script which does some logging, and I'd like to include the line number of the echo statement that pipes into $LOGGER: MYPID=$$ MYNAME=`basename $0` LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -t $MYNAME($LINENO) -p daemon.error" ... echo 'this is an entry into the log file' | $LOGGER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scandora
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Brace expansion problem in Bash

I have a script that takes an option for server pools to run the script against. The option is given as a comma separated list (ie, -p 201,204,301). I'm using eval and brace expansion to get those pool numbers into an array. It works fine unless only 1 pool number is given. Here's the code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does SH support indirect expansion like BASH?

Hello, is there a kind soul who can answer me, does the SH support double substitution known as indirect expansion similar to BASH? The syntax for bash is ${!var}. For instance in bash I can write something like this: VAR="value" REF_VAR="VAR" echo ${!REF_VAR} and get the "value"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dimentiy
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell expansion help

This is what I have in my directory. $ ls test1.txt test2.txt test3.txt test4.txt test5.txt test_script.sh This is what my shellscript looks like. #!/bin/bash for filename in /shell_expansion/*.txt; do for ((i=0; i<=3; i++)); do echo "$filename" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash expansion

Hello. I cannot write a command without using eval. Any help is welcome Note 1 : What does the function SOMETHING has no importance. Note 2 : What does the command find has no importance. It is an expansion variable problem : where to put or or or anythings else What works (FILTRE_1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion

Hello. The file /etc/fstab contains UUID=957c3295-9944-1593-82e2-2b90dede4312 / ext4 noatime,discard,acl,user_xattr 1 1 I fill a variable SOME_LINE=$( cat /etc/fstab | grep \/\..*ext4 | grep noatime,discard )echo $SOME_LINE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

I have made the following examples that print various parameter expansions text: iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac (text%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz.d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018 (text%%.*): iv-hhz-sac/hpac/hhz (text#*.): d/iv.hpac..hhz.d.2016.250.070018.sac... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Parameter Expansion

#!/bin/bash SNMPW='/usr/bin/snmpwalk' while read h i do loc=$($SNMPW -v3 -u 'Myusername' -l authPriv -a SHA -A 'Password1' -x AES -X 'Password2' $i sysLocation.0 2>/dev/null) loc=${loc:-" is not snmpable."} loc=${loc##*: } loc=${loc//,/} echo "$i,$h,$loc" done < $1 My question is ... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumguy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion in awk script

Hello, I need to split a file into two of different locations by re-direction in awk. cat infle aaa 1 3 bbb 2 4 aaa 3 3 bbb 4 4 aaa 5 3 bbb 6 4 cat /storage/tmp/group_a.gtf aaa 1 3 aaa 3 3 aaa 5 3 cat /storage/tmp/group_b.gtf bbb 2 4 bbb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use parameter expansion over a parameter expansion in bash.

Hello All, Could you please do help me here as I would like to perform parameter expansion in shell over a parameter expansion. Let's say I have following variable. path="/var/talend/nat/cdc" Now to get only nat I could do following. path1="${path%/*}" path1="${path1##*/}" Here... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
8 Replies
unifdef(1)							   User Commands							unifdef(1)

NAME
unifdef - resolve and remove ifdef'ed lines from C program source SYNOPSIS
unifdef [-clt] [-Dname] [-Uname] [-iDname] [-iUname] ... [filename] DESCRIPTION
unifdef removes ifdefed lines from a file while otherwise leaving the file alone. It is smart enough to deal with the nested ifdefs, com- ments, single and double quotes of C syntax, but it does not do any including or interpretation of macros. Neither does it strip out com- ments, though it recognizes and ignores them. You specify which symbols you want defined with -D options, and which you want undefined with -U options. Lines within those ifdefs will be copied to the output, or removed, as appropriate. Any ifdef, ifndef, else, and endif lines associated with filename will also be removed. ifdefs involving symbols you do not specify are untouched and copied out along with their associated ifdef, else, and endiff1 lines. If an ifdefX occurs nested inside another ifdefX, then the inside ifdef is treated as if it were an unrecognized symbol. If the same symbol appears in more than one argument, only the first occurrence is significant. unifdef copies its output to the standard output and will take its input from the standard input if no filename argument is given. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c Complement the normal operation. Lines that would have been removed or blanked are retained, and vice versa. -l Replace ``lines removed'' lines with blank lines. -t Plain text option. unifdef refrains from attempting to recognize comments and single and double quotes. -Dname Lines associated with the defined symbol name. -Uname Lines associated with the undefined symbol name. -iDname Ignore, but print out, lines associated with the defined symbol name. If you use ifdefs to delimit non-C lines, such as comments or code which is under construction, then you must tell unifdef which symbols are used for that purpose so that it will not try to parse for quotes and comments within them. -iUname Ignore, but print out, lines associated with the undefined symbol name. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. 1 Operation failed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbtool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Premature EOF Inappropriate else or endif. SunOS 5.10 14 Jan 1992 unifdef(1)