Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple If then statement
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Simple If then statement Post 302435951 by Dallasbr on Thursday 8th of July 2010 04:13:21 PM
Old 07-08-2010
Simple If then statement

Hello,

I have never actually created a bash script but thought I would give it a try and got hung up fast.(stupid noob). In the script I have parsed a xml file to get a bunch of file prefixs out. I am then going to check a folder to determine if a file with the correct prefix exists.

All the prefixs are stored in the variable HouseNums. $LolaLoc is the folder I am searching. I am trying to get this statement to comeback with the actual line from the ls search if a file is found but it is echoing $h whether i use = or !=. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
for h in $HouseNums
do
	if [$(ls -R "$LolaLoc" | grep $h*) != ""]; then
		echo $h
	fi
done

Thank you
Dallas

Last edited by joeyg; 07-08-2010 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: added codetags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this simple statement?

I know that this is a ridiculously simple statement, but I am getting an error when I execute it, and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? #!/bin/ksh integer dateMonth=0 integer intZero=0 if then dateMonth = 1 fi echo $dateMonth (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh -help with case statement (should be simple)

I'm having an issue running multiple commands in a case statement. If i only run one command it works fine. Am I supposed to use double semi-colons after each statement or do i not need any at all? here is a snippet of the code: case `uname` in "Linux") echo This is linux. cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using simple if statement in script

Hello, I am trying to create a simple script that will check the disk usage of a drive, and if it is over the limit it will delete the oldest ten files. everything is working except for when i implement the if statement i get the error /usb0: zero divisor. I am pretty sure that the du -k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpage
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if statement

Hi there, Im new in the scripting world and ran into trouble yesterday. I want to make a small script that runs in crontab checking folders. If the folder size is greater than 10 (or what I set the variable to) then send a mail with a warning. #!/bin/sh set -x A=8 C=`du -skh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntenz
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple if and then statement

guys, in one of my script, I want to include and a if and then statement which basically does the the following: if a file (constant location and filename) is greater in size than 0 bytes, then it should send out an email. I have tried the following so far with no luck: 1) if # is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admininmaking
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple for statement please

Hi guys, I'm typing the following command, but I'm getting a different output than expected. for file in *20* do ls -l $file | wc -l done Instead of listing a total count of the files, it seems to be counting each file and then printing the number of the file - which is 1. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if statement help needed please

if ]; then echo "successssssssssssssssssss" $filename = "<font color='red'>$i</font>" else echo "failureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" $filename = "$i" fi; I'm just trying to see is this - read a file name and highlight... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmanda
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with failing simple if statement

So I'm writing a script that takes in arguments given from the shell. The last argument I'm using as a tag to tell my script, via if statements, to do one thing or another. A sample input would be: script.scr infile.txt outfile.txt F The "F" at the end there I expect to be one of two tags... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malavin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement?

Hi all, I thought this would be simple, but I've been having a lot of trouble trying to write this IF statement, if I may ask for help pls: In BASH, how would I construct the if statement: Should ONLY be true if USEROPTscript=="yes"]] AND $mode=="INSTALL" /or/ $mode=="CHANGE" ]]... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmccoughlin
3 Replies
rmf(1)							      General Commands Manual							    rmf(1)

NAME
rmf - remove folder (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-help] [-[no]interactive] OPTIONS
Prints a list of the valid options to this command. Asks for confirmation before deleting a folder. By default, rmf deletes a folder and its messages without asking for confirmation. If you specify the -interactive option, rmf asks if you are sure before deleting the folder. You are advised to use this option, since when rmf deletes a folder its contents are lost irretrievably. DESCRIPTION
The rmf command removes all of the messages within the current folder, and then removes the folder itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not part of MH, they are not removed, and an error message is displayed. You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument. If you do not specify a folder, and rmf cannot find the current folder,rmf asks you whether you want to delete +inbox instead. If the current folder is removed, it makes +inbox current. Note that the rmf command irreversibly deletes messages that do not have other links, so use it with caution. If the folder being removed is a sub-folder, the parent folder becomes the new current folder, and rmf tells you that this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. Using rmf to delete a read-only folder deletes the private sequence and current message information from the file, without affecting the folder itself. If you have sub-folders within a folder, you must delete all the sub-folders before you can delete the folder itself. PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's Mail directory EXAMPLES
This example shows how rmf asks for confirmation when the -interactive option is used: % rmf -interactive +test Remove folder "test"? y FILES
The user profile. SEE ALSO
rmm(1) rmf(1)