Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming a file (non unix person) Post 302435521 by cavleader on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 01:55:04 PM
Old 07-07-2010
Still no good. I keep getting this same error message:
Code:
mv: target "+%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.txt" must exist
Usage: mv [-adfiqrRv] file1 [file2 ...] target

Last edited by pludi; 07-07-2010 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server

Greetings! Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: everettr
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix certified person locator

I need to locate a specific person who is certified in Unix. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlwscope
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming the File in UNIX

I have many files in a particular folder(all ending with extension .F1.Test). I need a unix command that will change my file extension from .F1.Test to .csv I tried giving the command as "ren sample.F1.Test sample.csv", but i got the file as "sample.F1.csv" Example : I have the filename... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar803
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server

Greetings! Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: everettr
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Renaming serial ports in unix

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am by no means a unix expert, so I hope I explain my issue well. I'm on a mac (mac mini), 10.7. My question is about serial port names. I have an arduino microcontroller plugged in via usb, and every time the computer is shut down it gives the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: superliminal
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote renaming of a unix file via ftp

Hi all, i'm just after some help regarding a batch script. I'm wanting to create a windows batch script which will push a file from my pc to a unix (AIX) system via ftp. i have this part working fine but as the file i'm sending already exists i want the script to also take a sideways copy of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forefather1977
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script to get unix username of person executing it

Hi, I am writing a script, and I need to incorporate some logic where I can find out the unix username of the person who is executing the script. The issue is , a particular user could have "sesu" ed into a group id. for eg. root, and then executed the script. In that case, instead of root,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Renaming Multiple Files in Unix

I have mulitiple files in a unix directory e.g. FILE10001.txt FILE10002.txt I want the above two files to get renamed as by a single command. I tried with mv but it does not work FILE20001.txt FILE20002.txt Paresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pash
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator

Hi, I would like to become Linux/Unix administrator. Of course I am aware that it is practically impossible to get that job immediately and in the beginning it will be Junior position or 2nd level of technical support. But I would like to ask: how in-depth knowledge about daemons such like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidMax
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX :renaming the files present in the directory

Hi all, I am looking for a script which renames all the files from the present directory. Eg.: In unix directory contains the below files linux001.txt linux002.txt linux003.txt ...... ....... Now the files should be renamed to unix001.txt unix002.txt unix003.txt Could anyone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
8 Replies
SGFSPLIT.C(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SGFSPLIT.C(1p)

NAME
sgfsplit - split Smart Go Format (SGF) files into their component variations SYNOPSIS
sgfsplit [ option(s) ] file[.sgf|.mgt] DESCRIPTION
sgfsplit takes a Smart Go Format (SGF) file containing variations, and splits it up into a series of files, named filename.0.sgf, filename.1.sgf, ..., one for each variation. The first file filename.0.sgf is the main line. sgfsplit also creates a shell script called filename.sgf2dg which contains suggested options for invoking sgf2dg on the individual files. In particular, a breakpoint is specified in each variation file so that a single diagram is created, the first move of the variation being move 1. The options(s) to sgfsplit, if specified, are incorporated into filename.sgf2dg and are passed as options to sgf2dg. filename.sgf2dg may of course be edited before being invoked if different options are wanted for the different variations. SEE ALSO
sgf2dg(1) for description of the option(s). AUTHOR
Daniel Bump (bump@math.stanford.edu): <http://match.stanford.edu/bump/go.html> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1997-2005 by Daniel Bump This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. sgfsplit is published under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence, version 2. Consult the file COPYING for details, or write the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111, USA. perl v5.10.1 2005-06-03 SGFSPLIT.C(1p)