Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming a file (non unix person) Post 302435509 by pseudocoder on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 01:34:14 PM
Old 07-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavleader
my script currently looks like this:
mv \archiveSF\sfglsoarian.txt \archiveSF\sfgl`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.txt
Assuming you are in the parent directory of the archiveSF folder:
Code:
mv -v archiveSF/sfglsoarian.txt archiveSF/sfgl`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server

Greetings! Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: everettr
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix certified person locator

I need to locate a specific person who is certified in Unix. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlwscope
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming the File in UNIX

I have many files in a particular folder(all ending with extension .F1.Test). I need a unix command that will change my file extension from .F1.Test to .csv I tried giving the command as "ren sample.F1.Test sample.csv", but i got the file as "sample.F1.csv" Example : I have the filename... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mazhar803
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Utility or script for renaming files on UNIX web server

Greetings! Does anyone know of a utility or a script for renaming files on a UNIX web server? I've seen several of these types of renaming utilities for Windows, but none for UNIX. I have 10,000 files that I need to rename in a several tier (deep) web site directory. I have the original... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: everettr
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Renaming serial ports in unix

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am by no means a unix expert, so I hope I explain my issue well. I'm on a mac (mac mini), 10.7. My question is about serial port names. I have an arduino microcontroller plugged in via usb, and every time the computer is shut down it gives the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: superliminal
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote renaming of a unix file via ftp

Hi all, i'm just after some help regarding a batch script. I'm wanting to create a windows batch script which will push a file from my pc to a unix (AIX) system via ftp. i have this part working fine but as the file i'm sending already exists i want the script to also take a sideways copy of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forefather1977
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh script to get unix username of person executing it

Hi, I am writing a script, and I need to incorporate some logic where I can find out the unix username of the person who is executing the script. The issue is , a particular user could have "sesu" ed into a group id. for eg. root, and then executed the script. In that case, instead of root,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Renaming Multiple Files in Unix

I have mulitiple files in a unix directory e.g. FILE10001.txt FILE10002.txt I want the above two files to get renamed as by a single command. I tried with mv but it does not work FILE20001.txt FILE20002.txt Paresh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pash
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator

Hi, I would like to become Linux/Unix administrator. Of course I am aware that it is practically impossible to get that job immediately and in the beginning it will be Junior position or 2nd level of technical support. But I would like to ask: how in-depth knowledge about daemons such like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidMax
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX :renaming the files present in the directory

Hi all, I am looking for a script which renames all the files from the present directory. Eg.: In unix directory contains the below files linux001.txt linux002.txt linux003.txt ...... ....... Now the files should be renamed to unix001.txt unix002.txt unix003.txt Could anyone... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
8 Replies
MBK_WORK_LIB(1) 					     MBK ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES						   MBK_WORK_LIB(1)

NAME
MBK_WORK_LIB - define the mbk working directory SYNOPSYS
c-shell running setenv MBK_WORK_LIB unix path ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr DESCRIPTION
MBK_WORK_LIB sets the directory where are saved the results of an invocation of mbk or genlib. This directory is considered to be, from an mbk point of view, read and write. Also, when a file is searched for reading, the first directory to be looked at is the MBK_WORK_LIB, and then the one defined in MBK_CATA_LIB(1). The unix path argument must be a actually accessible path on your host machine. ERRORS
"mbk_fopen : can't open file 'unix_path/file.xx'" This occurs when either the unix path is irrelevent, or when the file doesn't exist if it is open for reading, or when you don't have the right on the file or directory while trying to write it. EXAMPLE
setenv MBK_WORK_LIB ~fred/crechan/uom SEE ALSO
mbk(3), genlib(1), MBK_CATA_LIB(1). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 MBK_WORK_LIB(1)