Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting why the set rr='echo string|cut not working Post 302435156 by jdsignature88 on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 01:48:36 PM
Old 07-06-2010
string concatnation

here is the script

Code:
#! /bin/csh
set tt=12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt
set rr=`echo $tt | cut -d_  -f1`
set rr1=welcome
set ff=$rr $rr1
echo $ff

why echo $ff still return 12345 and not 12345welcome? thanks
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags, please...

Last edited by pludi; 07-06-2010 at 02:56 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set echo on

I'm looking at my bash man page and I'm expecting to find some option that I can use to make it echo every command that it executes. The description of --verbose was pretty terse! Is --verbose supposed to make it echo every command it executes? My bash script script (named ws2) contains a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable to Home, then echo it to screen

Major Newbie here folks. I'm trying to set a variable to my Home directory and then echo it to the screen. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Anna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amidget
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo just 1 line before execution/set +-x

Suppose that you want to mostly not echo commands inside your script during execution (e.g. to not bog the user down with details that they do not care about) but that there is the occaisional script line that you would like to echo before you execute it. Is there an elegant way to achieve this?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing output from echo & cut into variable

Hi All, Hope someone can advise here as I have been struggling to find a syntax that works here. I have tried a stack of combination I have seed in the forums but I think because I have needed to use "" and `` in the statments another method is found. I am reading in lines with the following... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkwilliams
1 Replies

5. Linux

set echo off command issue

Hi all, I am executing a Oracle SQL statement in a shell script and spooling the output of the query into a File with spool command. I want to ensure that only output of the query appears in file excluding the SQL statement but even set echo off command is not working. Please help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumi_mn
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set echo off and on

Hi I have written a bash script to capture the output of jmap. The command i execute is jmap -heap <pid> This gives details of memory usage of the process with <pid>. Now jmap not only gives this info but also prints couple more lines, which i am not interested in. Here are the lines that I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with echo and cut

Hi, My source file happens to be src.src with following contents: 1,liv 52,syrup,twice a day,children When I do a : for ii in `cat src.src` do echo $ii medicine_name=`echo $ii | cut -f -d2","` echo $medicine_name done I get output of echo $medicine_name as : an the output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo not working with $

$cat FILE.txt $PATH1/file1.txt $PATH2/file2.txt where$PATH 1 = /root/FILE_DR/file1.txt $PATH 2 = /root/FILE_DR/file2.txt for I in `cat FILE.txt` do v=`echo $I` echo $v if then rm $v (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekharvi
5 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)                                                                                                                NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)