Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX How to remove swap file sys without reboot? Post 302435081 by vbe on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 10:25:17 AM
Old 07-06-2010
You didnt say what version of HPUX you were running... (swapoff is to my knowledge only for 11.31...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

different between soft reboot and hard reboot

Hi Guru's Can any want here could explain to me the different between soft reboot and hard reboot . Best Regards Seelan (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seelan3
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Transfer whole file sys from one server to another

Hi, well i am not that good in shell prog. and just shifted to do this work. i was assigned to look all the dir/ sub-dir in a folder like /usr who are the owners, users and groups for the respective dir/sub-dir. its really a hectic process to see each n every file. i used the command...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to remove the stale entry without a reboot??

my AIX server used to have scsi disk hdisk4. Now i removed that disk. But still it is still listed in lspv. So how can i remove the stale entry of it ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: navadeep
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sys-unconfig doesn't work after reboot

Hi All! I'm running "Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC" on M5000. I ran sys-unconfig and after the machine rebooted the system did not prompt me for configuration info (system name, ip address, etc). I have also modified /etc/.sysIDtool.state changing all "1" to "0" and touch... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Swap device file and swap sapce

Hi I have an integrity machine rx7620 and rx8640 running hp-ux 11.31. I'm planning to fine tune the system: - I would like to know when does the memory swap space spill over to the device swap space? - And how much % of memory swap utilization should be specified (swap space device... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
6 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

sys/sysinfo.h: No such file or directory --> MACOSX 10.6.4

duplicate thread I need a real help to compile a small program which compiles fine with g++ in Linux machines. However I need to compile-it in my machine with g++. I have this problem and I dont know how to solve it: sys/sysinfo.h: No such file or directory could someone please help me? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sys/sysinfo.h: No such file or directory --> MACOSX 10.6.4

I need a real help to compile a small program which compiles fine with g++ in Linux machines. However I need to compile-it in my machine with g++. I have this problem and I dont know how to solve it: sys/sysinfo.h: No such file or directory could someone please help me? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Name file with sys date

Hi, I would like to rename log files with sys date as extension. eg xyz.log --> xyz.log.01-21-2011 How do I do this? Any hints? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil.k
1 Replies

9. Programming

#include file <sys/libcsys.h>: not found

Hi, Currently am working on pooling of messages from one host to another.. I included "#include <sys/libcsys.h>" library in my C code.. But I found in the output as, #include file <sys/libcsys.h>: not found I know that "libcsys.h" library is used for kernel extensions.. I can't figure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
1 Replies

10. Programming

Interactive Python 3.5+ sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() bug?

(Apologies for any typos.) OSX 10.12.3 AND Windows 10. This is for the serious Python experts on at least 3.5.x and above... In script format sys.stdout.write() AND sys.stderr.write() seems to work correctly. Have I found a serious bug in the interactive sys.stdout.write() AND... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
SWAPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff, swapctl -- specify devices for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapoff [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapctl [-AghklmsU] [-a file ... | -d file ...] DESCRIPTION
The swapon, swapoff and swapctl utilities are used to control swap devices in the system. At boot time all swap entries in /etc/fstab are added automatically when the system goes multi-user. Swap devices use a fixed interleave; the maximum number of devices is unlimited. There is no priority mechanism. The swapon utility adds the specified swap devices to the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be added, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be added as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is added. The swapoff utility removes the specified swap devices from the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be removed, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be removed as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is removed. Note that swapoff will fail and refuse to remove a swap device if there is insufficient VM (memory + remaining swap devices) to run the system. The swapoff utility must move swapped pages out of the device being removed which could lead to high system loads for a period of time, depending on how much data has been swapped out to that device. Other options supported by both swapon and swapoff are as follows: -F fstab Specify the fstab file to use. The swapctl utility exists primarily for those familiar with other BSDs and may be used to add, remove, or list swap devices. Note that the -a option is used differently in swapctl and indicates that a specific list of devices should be added. The -d option indicates that a spe- cific list should be removed. The -A and -U options to swapctl operate on all swap entries in /etc/fstab which do not have their ``noauto'' option set. Swap information can be generated using the swapinfo(8) utility, pstat -s, or swapctl -l. The swapctl utility has the following options for listing swap: -h Output values in human-readable form. -g Output values in gigabytes. -k Output values in kilobytes. -m Output values in megabytes. -l List the devices making up system swap. -s Print a summary line for system swap. The BLOCKSIZE environment variable is used if not specifically overridden. 512 byte blocks are used by default. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard paging devices /dev/md? memory disk devices /etc/fstab ASCII file system description table DIAGNOSTICS
These utilities may fail for the reasons described in swapon(2). SEE ALSO
swapon(2), fstab(5), init(8), mdconfig(8), pstat(8), rc(8) HISTORY
The swapon utility appeared in 4.0BSD. The swapoff and swapctl utilities appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BSD
November 22, 2013 BSD