Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trying to find files equal to and greater than Post 302434892 by bbbngowc on Tuesday 6th of July 2010 11:34:10 AM
Old 07-06-2010
In one of my directories there are about 1300 files and the script is giving me the arg list too long error. I tried to put it in a for statement but it's telling me there are 0 files.

What's wrong with this command?

Code:
for file in *.txt; do find /dir1/dir2/ -prune -type f -mtime +1 -exec ls -l $file {} \;; done | wc -l

There are in fact files older than 1 day.

---------- Post updated 07-06-10 at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-05-10 at 03:38 PM ----------

What am I doing wrong with this command please?

Code:
for file in *.txt; do find /dir1/dir2/$file -prune -type f -mtime +1 -exec ls -l {} \;; done | wc -l

Keeps telling me arg list too long.

---------- Post updated at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:59 AM ----------

I got it to work.

Code:
for file in *.txt; do find /dir1/dir2/$file -prune -mtime +3 -exec echo {} \;; done | wc -w

---------- Post updated at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:10 AM ----------

scratch that ... still giving the same error:

Code:
bash: /usr/bin/find: The parameter or environment lists are too long

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Important finding --- find files greater than 1 MB

as we can find file greater than 1 MB with find command as: find /dir -name '*' -size +1M find /dir/* -name '*' -size +1M but wats its doing is , its finding files only in current directory not in sub-directories. i want files from sub-directories too. Please help... Thanx in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj_dahiya22
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Greater Than Or Equal To

BASH problem with IS GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO. I have tried a dozen variations for this IF statement to work with IS GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO. My code below WORKS. array=( $( /usr/bin/sar -q 1 30 |grep Average |awk '{print $2,$3}' ) ) nthreads="${array}" avproc="${array}" if && ; then ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: diex
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find image greater than x pixels?

Hi Guys, I have a little problem, was wondering if anyone had any experience with this? I am using imagemagick to remove whitespace from images, however some images are corrupt and the server hangs and eventually crashes because imagemagick doesnt know what to do, even though I have set the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikemeadeuk
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I find files which are older than 30 days and greater than 1GB

Hi All, I know the separate commands for finding files greater than 30 days and finding files greater than 1GB. How do I combine these two commands? Meaning how do I find files which are > 1GB and older than 30 days? ;) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find greater than value

Hi I want to find greater than and min value. dategrep() { varlinenum=$1 varSESSTRANS_CL="$(egrep -n "<\/SESSTRANSFORMATIONINST>" tmpsess9580.txt | cut -d":" -f1)" echo $varSESSTRANS_CL } dategrep 8 Output of the above command is: I want to find out greater than 8 and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files greater than a particular date in filename.

I need a unix command which will find all the files greater that a particular date in the file name. say for example I have files like(filenaming cov : filename.YYDDMMSSSS.txt) abc.201206015423.txt abc.201207013456.txt abc.201202011234.txt abc.201201024321.txt efg.201202011234.txt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help list/find files greater 1G move to different directory

I have have 6 empty directory below. I would like write bash scipt if any files less "1000000000" bytes then move to "/export/home/mytmp/final" folder first and any files greater than "1000000000" bytes then move to final1, final2, final3, final4, final4, final5 and that depend see how many files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and substitute if greater than.

I have large config-files for an application. The lines have different structure, but some of them contains the parameter 'TIMEOUT=x', where x is an numeric value. I want to change the value for that specific paramater if the value is greater than a specific value (got that?). The timeout-parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare first column from two csv files with greater than or equal, and less than

I have two csv files of different sizes. The output file needs to have file1 contents on top of file2 contents where file2 col1 is >= to file1 col1, and file2 col1(same value) is < file1 col1 (next value). So basically, some file2 rows will be matched to the same file1 row because it is the closet... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aachave1
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move a TXT file greater or equal 355 MB with its corresponding .LST file

Good morning, i need your help please I need to move a .TXT file greater or igual 355 MB and its correspondent .LST file in a non recursive way The operating system is: uname -a SunOS server01c 5.10 Generic_144488-01 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise For example: rw-r--r-- 1 xptol ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. Any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. A versioned Pre-Dependency on dpkg is needed to use dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). An appropriate Pre-Dependency is set in ${misc:Pre-Depends} ; you should make sure to put that token into an appropriate place in your debian/control file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)