Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Even Driven (File triggered) shell script Post 302434849 by cjcox on Monday 5th of July 2010 12:03:04 PM
Old 07-05-2010
Your script (unless you go VERY OS specific) will poll the receiving directory looking for a time change (i.e. it has been updated). If you have a good shell "test" available you'll be able to see if a "file" (your dir) is newer than another file (your last timestamp from the last change). Of course, that doesn't tell you if it changed... but for a large directory if the files linger, checking for time change before doing a potentially long check of the actual directory contents is wise (?).

That timestamp file COULD be the last known list of files in some sorted order... thus if the timestamp is now older, use the list found there to compare with the new list of files in the directory and identify the changed files.... then move that new filelist as the timestamp file (avoid modifying the file or time on the file of course)... etc...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: 1) Write a Menu Driven Shell Script which accepts1 to 5 options and performs the following actions for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaghya
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Write shell script using menu-driven approach to show various system

QUESTION: Write shell script using menu-driven approach to show various system configuration like 1) Currently logged user and his logname 2) Your current shell 3) Your home directory 4) Your current path setting 5) Your current working directory 6) Show Currently logged number of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bboyjervis
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script command line option driven script

could someone show me a sample command line option driven script? i want to see an easy way to write one and how i can execute it using command line options such as typing in read.pl -i <id> -c <cmds> -s <start> -e <end> would read out all the commands run by ID . from start time to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script not working if triggered by scheduler

I have a script that works well if i execute manually using informix user. However, it does not execute properly if triggered using the scheduler (ESP). This is the partial part where it doesn't work. i added some tracing but i can't figure it out. #!/bin/ksh let db_is_up=0... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu driven script.

I'm a beginner at scripting and have been putting this script together over the past week. It's no where as polish as it could be. Any tips/suggestions on improving this script would be appreciate it. Every week, my team develops WAR files in tomcat on our test environment and moves them to our... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bouncer
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with dispalying file content using menu driven script

HI All.. below is my menu options script. in option 2,3 and 4 im giving input and they are saving into their respective text file. problem is when im trying to "cat" those files in options 7,8 and 9 im not getting the output. no respective file contents are displaying on screen. but if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tracking the script(.sh) files triggered on daily or monthly basis from source

Hi Gurus, Is there any solution for tracking the script(.sh) files triggered on daily or monthly basis from source - Datastage (Routines) Needs to find out if this scripts are running on daily just want to know that is there anything to track Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeenuGuddu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows exe file fails when triggered from ssh

Hi, I am triggering a windows exe file using the below command. ssh user@remoteserver command.exe -option1:xx /option2:yy This command is working fine from windows command prompt. When I am triggering the same command from ssh I get the error message cant load Any ideas to deal with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu Driven Bash Shell Script with Default Option

Hi All, I have written a menu driven bash shell script. Current Output is as below: ------------------------------------- Main Menu ------------------------------------- Option 1 Option 2 Option 3 Option 4 Exit ===================================== Enter your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using menu driven script

Hi Team , I wrote a shell script for adding and subtracting two numbers am getting error could some one please help to fix it script: echo "Enter 1 to add:" echo "Enter 2 to sub:" echo "Enter 3 for both addition and subtraction :" read ans; case "$ans" in 1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knz
4 Replies
pseudo(1)						      General Commands Manual							 pseudo(1)

NAME
pseudo - Starts a non-STREAMS pty interface for a STREAMS device SYNOPSIS
pseudo [-l] [-shell shell] OPTIONS
Starts a shell process as the login shell. By default, the command starts this process as an interactive shell. Specifies the shell to be started. By default, the command starts the shell set by the SHELL environment variable. DESCRIPTION
The pseudo command provides an appropriate interface for STREAMS tty devices that are installed on systems configured to use the non- STREAMS pty driver. The pseudo command opens a pair of master and slave pty devices, and starts a shell process. The command's options allow you to override the default shell specification and to specify that the process be started as a login shell. NOTES
The pseudo command is available only when one or more of the Tru64 UNIX optional subsets with worldwide support software are installed on your system. In order for the pseudo command to provide a non-STREAMS pty interface for STREAMS devices, the system must be configured to use the non- STREAMS pty driver. If the system is configured to use the STREAMS pty driver, the command provides a STREAMS pty interface. SEE ALSO
Commands: stty(1) Interfaces: pty(7) pseudo(1)