Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in using sed command in editing a file Post 302434787 by pseudocoder on Monday 5th of July 2010 06:36:14 AM
Old 07-05-2010
Check if your sed supports the -i option, the so-called in-place editing.
Code:
sed -ie 's/THIS/THAT/' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command problem

Hi! here is my problem : $ more file yopyop:FIToB8df02f:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh $grep yopyop file | sed s/FIToB8df02f/passe/ yopyop:passe:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh $more file yopyop:FIToB8df02f:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh ...when i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomapam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem editing big file in vi

I have a big file, which vi opens it with message not sufficient space with file system. I am not adding any data in the file but changing some values within. To make these changes effective, it asks for forced write (w!), even after doing this, I see this particular record, change is not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where is the problem in my sed command....

for example i have the file that contain several line..and i want to swap the first word and the second word than i store it into new file.. on the command i wrote: sed -e "s/^\(*\)\(*\)/\2\1/g" file > swapfile i think its already correct... but i got the error sed: -e expression... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: P_W
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing File using awk/sed

Hello Awk Gurus, Can anyone of you help me with the below problem. I have got a file having data in below format pmFaultyTransportBlocks ----------------------- 9842993 pmFrmNoOfDiscRachFrames ----------------------- NULL pmNoRecRandomAccSuccess -----------------------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - editing file names (End of line problem?)

For lists in sed, to say what to replace, is this correct: I am hoping that this would recognise that either a "." is present, or that the substitution happens at the end of the line. For files with extensions , my script works perfectly. My problem is, files without extentions, i.e. . ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busillis
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single line file editing command?

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the various different text editors at my disposal through Unix, but I just can't seem to close the deal for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to issue a single line command to edit a file where pattern=x, and do it non-destructively AND in-place?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gator76
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with searching and then editing a file through shell.

Hi, I have searched through this forum as there are many similar entries but could'nt get one of them to work, either that or they were just different to what I needed. Basically I have a file, recordsDatabase. In this file are a few different fields. There is a unique identifier eg 001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: U_C_Dispatj
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stuck in editing file with cat command

Hi, While editing a small text file with cat command i pressed ctrl-d to send eof, instead of coming out of cat command it echoed ^D to the screen. Same thing is happening to ctrl-c. After googling i found this is because of trap. The problem is i m stuck in editing mode and cannot get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TITANIUM
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)