Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: counting characters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting counting characters Post 302434400 by bartus11 on Friday 2nd of July 2010 10:56:16 AM
Old 07-02-2010
Code:
awk '/^>/{sub(">","");p=$0;next}{a[p]}+=length($0)}END{for (i in a) printf "%s\t%s\n",i,a[i]}' file

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters between comma's

I have a comma delimited file that roughly has 300 fields. Not all fields are populated. This file is fed into another system, what I need to do is count the amount of characters in each field and give me an output similiar to this: 1 - 6,2 - 25 The first number is the field and the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbrundrett
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting the occurence of particular characters

I want to list the occurence of particular characters in a line. my file looks like this a,b,c,d e,f,g h,y:e,g,y s f;g,s,w and I want to count how many commas are in each line so the file in the end looks like this: a,b,c,d 3 e,f,g 2 h,y:e,g,y s 3 f;g,s,w ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Audra
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters with sed

Input: ghw//yw/hw///??u How can i count the slashes("/") using sed? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking characters and counting them

Nevermind, I figured out a way using the sed command. But I forget the basic way of counting characters within a variable :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters vertically

I do have a big file in the following format >A1 ATGCGG >A2 TCATGC >A3 -TGCTG The number of characters will be same under each subheader and only possible characters are A,T,G,C and - I want to count the number of A's, T's,G's, C's & -'s vertically for all the positions so that I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)