Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Make command performs badly and refuses to compile on 200000 files Post 302434315 by madhur.tripathi on Friday 2nd of July 2010 06:12:51 AM
Old 07-02-2010
ok this is what i am trying to do..
Now when I try to create say 2LAC files in a directory and then run

mkmf -f Makefile then my makefile gets made in that directory. now when i run "make Makefile" command it pops up a message saying "command line too long .Stop" ...
then i thought that i would create five subdirectory and would create 20000 files in each one of them so that the command line in make command disen't get too long...
now if i run mkmf makefile in those subdirectory then i am getting five Makefiles all with same name ie Makefile . How i run make command on those makefiles simultaneously..in case of single directry i run make makefile ..bit here i want to simultaneously compile 2LAC files distibuted in bundles of 20000 files in five subdirectory..i want to run make command on 2LAC files simultaneously..but after running mkmf command in 5 directories i have 5 makefiles ..hoe do i run makecommand becouser make command allows only one makefile..please suggest a turnaround

regards
Madhur

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files till the size is less than 200000.

Hi, I need your help. Suppose I have a directory called /home/rooh This directory contains files and directories. For ex drwxr-xr-x 3 rooha arboradm 96 Apr 6 03:24 batches drwxr-xr-x 2 rooha arboradm 96 Apr 6 03:21 worker -rw-rw-rw- 1 rooha arboradm ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

who to compile needed libs with Make

Hello all my project is contains 2 directories, 2 directories are building library and one for the executable that using the libes from the other 2 Now what im doing is compiling first the 2 libs directories and then the main directory. But I will like to automate the process and to be able ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

3. Solaris

PHP 5.3 compile on Solaris 10 : make distclean :: fatal error

I'm trying to install PHP 5.3 on Solaris 10 . I'm using etc/apache2 and installed mysql 5.1.39. When I tried to compile PHP 5.3, with the following configure text, ./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql \ --with-mysqli=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config --with-zlib-dir=/usr/local \... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppa108
21 Replies

4. Programming

compile fails in linux ... "No rule to make target" ... HELP

hello all, attached you can find a tool (written in C) that i really need to make it compile under linux i am able to compile and run it successfully in mac os x, but in linux the compilation fails the only thing that i did so far is to change the following #include <sys/malloc.h> to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: OneDreamCloser
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Program to tar files to packages less then 200000 bytes

Trying to write program to archive files from a file system. I got some problem with appropriate selection of files in regard to size. Algorithm basic : ----------------- 1. Remotely executes on machine ls cmd and its output redirects and sorts by size of a files : # cd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compiling gcc to compile make to compile yaboot

I have just installed OpenBSD on a 333MHz PPC iMac G3. It has a 6GB HDD that has been partitioned as 1GB MacOS 8.5.1, 3GB MacOS X 10.3.9, 2GB OpenBSD 4.8. I now need to install a bootloader so that my computer can recognize the OpenBSD partition at startup. I have been trying to install... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: t04st3r
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running rename command on large files and make it faster

Hi All, I have some 80,000 files in a directory which I need to rename. Below is the command which I am currently running and it seems, it is taking fore ever to run this command. This command seems too slow. Is there any way to speed up the command. I have have GNU Parallel installed on my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
6 Replies

8. Linux

Is it possible to insert compile module after compiled "make" without installing

Hi gud day, I would like to ask if possible to load the driver i compiled module without installing it in the ubuntu-kernel-distro/updates* or simple not executing "make install". what i mean is i compile the compat wireless driver using make and i want to try to load on the system without... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
1 Replies

9. Programming

Using basic UNIX commands to make/compile JAVA files

Hello! This is my first post, and I just learned what UNIX was this week. For a JAVA programming class I am taking, I must be able to create a directory in UNIX, use the nano command to create a JAVA program, compile it, and then run it on the command prompt using the java command. For some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: UNdvoItX
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run compile command make as another user

Hello I'm trying to compile LibreOffice core from github.com. But this can - as far as I know - not be done as root user. So I compiled it as login user (the user as I log in) and compilation works. Now I try to compile LibreOffice core as a user I created using useradd: useradd -r -U -m... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4bash
2 Replies
AIMK(1PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4							AIMK(1PVM)

NAME
aimk - Portable make wrapper script SYNOPSIS
aimk [ -here ] [ make arguments ] DESCRIPTION
aimk is a wrapper program for make, used to portably select options to build PVM and PVM applications on various machines. Each port of PVM is assigned an architecture name. The name is used both during compilation (to conditionally switch in code) and at runtime (to select an executable or host). aimk uses the value of environment variable $PVM_ARCH if it is set, otherwise it calls $PVM_ROOT/pvmgetarch to determine the architecture name. pvmgetarch is a script that sniffs at various parts of the system to determine the correct architecture name. It is updated as new PVM ports are defined, and can be augmented locally. aimk determines the machine architecture and execs make, passing it the architecture and a configuration file along with arguments supplied to aimk. It runs make in a subdirectory to prevent executables from becoming intermixed and to permit overlapping compiles. A different makefile can be placed in each subdirectory or a single makefile, Makefile.aimk, can be shared between architectures. Per-architecture definitions from the $PVM_ROOT/conf directory are appended to the common makefile. aimk calls make is called in one of three ways, depend- ing on what makefiles are present: i. If $PVM_ARCH/Makefile or $PVM_ARCH/makefile exists, change directory to $PVM_ARCH and exec make there: (cd $PVM_ARCH ; make PVM_ARCH=$PVM_ARCH < aimk args >) ii. Else if Makefile.aimk exists, create $PVM_ARCH directory if it doesn't exist, then: (cd $PVM_ARCH ; make -f $PVM_ROOT/conf/$PVM_ARCH.def -f ../Makefile.aimk PVM_ARCH=$PVM_ARCH < aimk args >) iii. Else just exec make in current directory: make PVM_ARCH=$PVM_ARCH < aimk args > If aimk succeeds in calling make, the exit status is that of make, otherwise it is 1. FLAGS
-here Forces aimk to run make in the current directory, e.g. converts case i. to case iii. EXAMPLES
The following Makefile.aimk file builds and installs hello, creating the PVM binary directory if it doesn't exist. It can be run concur- rently on machines of different types, sharing the same source directory. LDIR = -L$(PVM_ROOT)/lib/$(PVM_ARCH) PVMLIB = -lpvm3 SDIR = .. BDIR = $(HOME)/pvm3/bin XDIR = $(BDIR)/$(PVM_ARCH) CFLAGS = -g -I$(PVM_ROOT)/include LIBS = $(LDIR) $(PVMLIB) $(ARCHLIB) $(XDIR): - mkdir $(BDIR) $(XDIR) hello: $(SDIR)/hello.c $(XDIR) $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ $(SDIR)/$@.c $(LIBS) mv $@ $(XDIR) ENVIRONMENT
$PVM_ROOT Root path of PVM installation. $PVM_ARCH PVM architecture name for machine. FILES
$PVM_ROOT/lib/aimk The aimk program $PVM_ROOT/conf/$PVM_ARCH.def Arch config file SEE ALSO
pvm_intro(1PVM) 02 May, 1994 AIMK(1PVM)