Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Inputting text to a specific line of a file Post 302434264 by DeCoTwc on Friday 2nd of July 2010 03:21:03 AM
Old 07-02-2010
Just a crappy shell solution. I don't know if this is what you were looking for. It adds a line before the line that says last

Code:
(03:19:41\[D@DeCoBox15)
[~]$ cat file
first
second
third
fourth
fith
last

(03:19:45\[D@DeCoBox15)
[~]$ type insert
insert is a function
insert ()
{
    tac $1 | while read line; do
        if [[ $line == "last" ]]; then
            echo $line;
            echo "$2";
        else
            echo $line;
        fi;
    done | tac
}

(03:19:48\[D@DeCoBox15)
[~]$ insert file "look ma, new text"
first
second
third
fourth
fith
look ma, new text
last

I just put it in a function so type would auto format it from the one-liner I wrote it as.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

jumping to a specific line in a text file

hi everybody! i need to read a specific line from a text file using C. can any one suggest how to do it. i m aware abt fread(), fwrite(), fseek()... but using these allows the pointer to be moved 1 character at a time. Is there a way i could jump directly to a line if i know the line number?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridula
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify Specific Line of a Text File

Given a text file, how do you add a line of text after a specific line number? I believe I would want to use "sed" but I am unsure of the syntax. Thank you. Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem inserting text into file after specific line

this is utterly embarassing :( after posting here i revisited my files and found that when i used "vi" instead of a gui based editor, i suddenly found that the indentations were in fact wrong :( sorry about this :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mocca
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

7. Linux

Get a specific line number from a text file

Hello! All, Could you please tell me how to get a specific line number from a text file? For example below, ABC DEF ---> Get this line number, return to an variable GHI My OS is Linux. Thank you so much for your help in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: barryxian
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update specific field in a line of text file

I have a text file like this: subject1:LecturerA:10 subject2:LecturerA:40 if I was given string in column 1 and 2 (which are subject 1 and LecturerA) , i need to update 3rd field of that line containing that given string , which is, number 10 need to be updated to 100 ,for example. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmtoan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
TAC(1)									FSF								    TAC(1)

NAME
tac - concatenate and print files in reverse SYNOPSIS
tac [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, last line first. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --before attach the separator before instead of after -r, --regex interpret the separator as a regular expression -s, --separator=STRING use STRING as the separator instead of newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Jay Lepreau and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for tac is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and tac programs are properly installed at your site, the command info tac should give you access to the complete manual. tac (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 TAC(1)