Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIS problem in aix
Operating Systems AIX NIS problem in aix Post 302434236 by zaxxon on Friday 2nd of July 2010 01:28:50 AM
Old 07-02-2010
Did you try a yppush to update the slaves?
IBM Information Center - yppush

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS users cann't login on AIX and HP

Hey, I've set up a NIS domain with linux as master-server, slave server and clients ... and Linux works fine. To that NIS domain I tried to add a HPUX 11.00 and an AIX 4.3.3 system (till now - there should be more clients in final version). And both systems now have to same problem: I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mod
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS Problem

Hi all, I use a sparc 1000 Enterprice server with solaris 5.8 as nis server. IŽam able to login as root user on the server and switch after that to any other user (If I am switch as root user) . So far so good. But if i try a rlogin server -l user_name or su - user (if I am no root user)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
5 Replies

3. Solaris

NIS Problem

I have a Solaris 9 system running on a sparc platform which is configured for NIS. The domain is set to unixlab.ocas.uc.edu on this system and the yp processes are running. The client machinces successfully binds using the ypinit -c command and specifying the servers name. I also copied the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meyersp
2 Replies

4. Solaris

NIS Problem

I'm having an issue with NIS. I run the following: ./nisclient -i -d XXX.XXXX.XXX -h XXXX-XXXX Everytime I do this with both my master and slave servers up and running and I go to reboot my client the client will hang after starting RPCBIND, and NIS Cachemanager. If I take my slave NIS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckhtr77
1 Replies

5. AIX

Use AIX as NIS client

Hi everyone. Has anyone here used AIX as a NIS client to a Linux server? If have configured this setup and cant get it to work. I have verifyed that the NIS server is working since other machines are able to connect to it and users to log in on other clients. On the AIX machine the users are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
0 Replies

6. AIX

AIX NIS client

All, I have just started using AIX (Solaris admin here) and I need to setup my new AIX box as an NIS client. Where would I do this? Thanks for the help! -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

7. AIX

AIX NIS Client to Linux

Hi, I have a trouble with configure NIS Client on AIX, my NIS server is on a Linux machine. After configure, some old NIS account could login normally. However, after I create new account from NIS server, I could not login with the new account, but could only su to that account. And I could view... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloneattack
20 Replies

8. AIX

Aix 5.3 NIS Client from a Suse10 sever

Hello Guys, Unfortunately after look for it on entire www I did not find anyone that have made a tutorial how to make it works. I'm using an AIX 5.3 as a nis client from a SUSE 1.0 server. I can see the maps - ypcat passwd (so I can Bind server) and I can su NIS users. BUT I CAN... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelan
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX: Could not login using NIS Account?

Hi there, I am new to AIX environment, when I set up NIS Client for an AIX 5.3 Machine to connect to a Linux NIS Master, everything seems to be okie: /etc/passwd: +::0:0::: /etc/group: +: ps -ef | egrep "ypbind": /usr/lib/netsvc/yp/ypbind -ypsetme -ypsetme I can get all account... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: quanba
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS setup: Mastr on AIX and slave on Solaris?

Hello - This could be a stupid question. But can we configure NIS with different flavors of UNIX. Like Master on AIX and slave on Solaris? ---------- Post updated 09-06-11 at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 09-05-11 at 06:34 AM ---------- Hi - Can anyone please answer this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manju--
1 Replies
nis_intro(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      nis_intro(7)

NAME
nis_intro - Network Information Service (NIS) introductory information DESCRIPTION
The Network Information Service (NIS) is a distributed name service that allows participating hosts to share access to a common set of sys- tem and network files. NIS allows the system administrator to manage these shared files on a single system. NIS is intended for use in a secure environment only, where gateways do not allow outside Internet access to the NIS protocol. NIS Maps Information distributed by NIS is stored in database files called maps. Most of the NIS maps represent files that were traditionally stored in the /etc directory. These files include the following: aliases group hosts netgroups networks passwd protocols rpc services In a secure environment, you can run NIS in a secure mode, thereby creating secure and nonsecure versions of the NIS maps. See the Secu- rity guide for more information. You can also use NIS to distribute files used by Automount or AutoFS, or to distribute other user-defined files. Each NIS map contains a set of keys and associated values. For example, as keys, the hosts map contains all host names on a network, and as values, the corresponding Internet addresses. Each NIS map has a map name, used by programs to access data in the map. NIS Domains A named set of NIS maps is called a domain. A system's "domain name" or "NIS domain" corresponds to the set of NIS maps that the system can access. You can think of an NIS domain as a set of systems that share the same set of NIS maps. A system's domain name is set at the time the system is booted by the /sbin/init.d/nis script using an entry in the /etc/rc.config.common file. System administrators can use the nissetup script to place entries in this file. The nissetup script is described in the Network Administration manual. You can determine your system's NIS domain using the domainname command. Refer to domainname(1). A domain name is required for retrieving data from an NIS database. NIS Client-Server Model NIS follows the client-server model of distributed services. There are two types of NIS servers - master and slave. The master server stores the master copy of the NIS maps for its domain; these are the only NIS maps that can be modified. Each domain has only one master server. Slave servers store copies of the master server's NIS maps. NIS slave servers can be spread throughout a network. Whenever an NIS map is updated on the master server, the master propagates the changes to each slave server in its domain. If the master is unavailable for any reason, the slave servers continue to make the NIS maps available to the NIS clients. Clients are all of the systems that can access NIS maps. When a client requires NIS information, it makes a remote procedure call (RPC) to one of the NIS servers to obtain the information. NIS Data Storage The data in NIS maps is stored as databases in dbm/ndbm, btree, or hash format. For example, the NIS map for the /etc/hosts file in the domain market might be stored in these dbm/ndbm files: /var/yp/mar- ket/hosts.byaddr.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byaddr.pag /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.dir /var/yp/market/hosts.byname.pag The makedbm command takes an ASCII file such as /etc/hosts and converts it into dbm/ndbm files suitable for use by NIS. However, system administrators use the Makefile script in the /var/yp directory to create NIS map files and specify file format. The Makefile script then calls makedbm. Refer to the Network Administration manual for details on the Makefile script, specifying different formats, and other NIS management information. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: domainname(1), svcsetup(8), ypbind(8), yppasswdd(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: svc.conf(4) Network Administration delim off nis_intro(7)