Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting what is the switch to let sed edit and save file Post 302433825 by fedora on Wednesday 30th of June 2010 03:46:35 PM
Old 06-30-2010
what is the switch to let sed edit and save file

I remember there is a sed switch i can use to edit and save the file at the same time, but i cannot recall it at all.

so instead of

-> sed 's/A/B/' file > file-tmp
-> mv file-tmp file

what can i do to just let sed edit and save the "file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit file using sed (not create another!)

Hi, I generally use Perl for this ex. perl -e 's/pattern/replace/g' -p -i <filename> I did something like this.. find . -type f -exec perl -e 's/pattern/replace/g' -p -i {} \; I want to do this with "sed" but what I get is the output being printed on the screen.. i can do sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldtrash
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a file and save the changes

I have an xml file that gets created as a part of daily build. I have to modify some lines in this file, uncomment some lines, comment some line, add 2 new lines in the file every time. Is there an easier automated way to do this using perl, bash, or sh. I would appreciate it if someone can point... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabh1982
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How search,edit and save the file

Hi All, I want to edit a file using shell script..For ex...a file called /etc/passwd..here I am searching for "ftp" if it is there just change it to "tftp" without using any temporary file. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vichu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File edit with awk or sed

I have the follwoing file: This looks to be : seperated. For the first field i want only the file name without ".txt" and also i want to remove "+" sign if the second field starts with "+" sign. Input file: Output file: Appreciate your help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk or both to edit file

What is an efficient way to remove all lines from the input file which contain a file name? inputfile: ======================= # comment # comment # comment 5 8 10 /tmp 5 8 10 /var/run 5 8 10 /etc/vfstab 5 8 9 /var/tmp 5 8 10 /var/adm/messages... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arsenalman
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed save changes to same file in loop

I have got problems saving sed changes to the same file in a loop. Basically I want the delimited value in every line of the file to be set to blank according to the value stored in var. var can be changed anytime. I do not have sed -i and i've tried to mv the file. Any other ideas? My file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and save same file

hi, Im trying to do a sed and save it in teh same file using sed -i option But i think my system doesnt supports that option at all. BTW, im working in ksh. Is there any alternate for this? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete but save deleted output into other file

Hi guys, I am currently using this to save first 50 lines into top50.txt and delete them from list.txt ... it's 2 commands: head -n 50 list.txt > top50.txt && sed -i "1,50 d" list.txt I want to change that so it's 1 command - whereby sed removes the first 50 lines as above but that which is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyearth
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot save edit on cron on Solaris 10

Hi Everyone, I have edited my cron using 'crontab -e'. When I try to save the changes using ':wq!' The file closes but the changes are not saved. I get the following messages: "/tmp/crontabJFainH" 45 lines, 2996 characters trail.log crontab: error on previous line; unexpected character found... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scarlet
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - add/edit to file and save - sed?

I'm working on a script to execute a number of items. One being, editing particular files to add certain lines. I'm attempting to utilize sed, but, having issues when running from a bash script. Assistance is greatly appreciated. My example: sed -i '14 i\ # add these lines add these lines to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)