Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How would i schedule a job on ESX Post 302433540 by pinga123 on Wednesday 30th of June 2010 02:18:43 AM
Old 06-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Bash and crontab have 2 things in common: they run on most Unices, and both are written (largely) in C. That's it.

Searching on the net I found this. Basically, you have to edit /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root directly.
I could not able to see the link given as it is blocked in our office environment.

However i m still not able to schedule the job. m i missing anything?
I checked the current timing
Code:
/sbin # date
Wed Jun 30 05:27:48 UTC 2010

then modified the root file to run the coyfile.sh
Code:
/sbin # cat /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
#syntax : minute hour day month dayofweek command
01 01 * * * /sbin/tmpwatch.sh
01 * * * * /sbin/auto-backup.sh #first minute of every hour (run every hour)
00,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /sbin/decodeSel.sh #Every 10 minutes, translate the latest IPMI SEL data
30 05 30 6 wed /sbin/copyfile.sh #Testing purpose

content of my script
Code:
# cat copyfile.sh
#!/bin/ash
touch test.txt

I m not able to see the test.txt created in /sbin directory .

Please guide.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to schedule a job

Hi, How can i schedule a job, i.e a program named p found at path a/b/c, to run at a time T everyday? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashvik
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to schedule job in cron

Hi, from normal user(oracle) i am unable to run scheduled job in cron: os version: bash-2.03$ uname -a SunOS sumail02 5.8 Generic_117350-39 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60 bash-2.03$ crontab -l 55 * * * * sh /oracle/statistics.sh > /dev/null 2>&1 bash-2.03$ cat /oracle/statistics.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a job using Crontab

I would like to execute my script at 17.30 and 23.00 using crontab, could anybody help me out!! Thanks in Advance!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jatanig
1 Replies

4. AIX

Schedule Job

how to schedule a job in aix, pls explain with cmd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udtyuvaraj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Schedule a Cron job

Hi all, I am new to cron jobs.. i wanted to schedule a cron job that wil send a mail to me at 3:00PM on 10th August ie is on Wednesday. 0 15 10 8 3 echo "message from UNIX here"|mail -s "your subject here" user@user.com However this was not executed... Can anyone please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a corn job

Hi, I new to cron job... I need to schedule a job that runs on a particular day at a specific time say for example need to send a test mail at around 2:30PM on wed 10th August i have used the below syntax, but the job was not executed. 30 14 * * * echo "message from UNIX... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Schedule a cron job

Hi, Can anyone help me out with scheduling a cron job for the below: i wnated to delete file from a folder on every sunday at 05:00 AM this is code i have used. ******************************************************* 0 05 * * 0 find /abc/xyz/pqrs/bak/ -type f -mtime +30 -exec rm -f... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

schedule job

Hi, I have a spcific box called abc in autosys and below that there are 2 jobs. my requirement is to run the abc box only on monday and rest of the day the rest of the jobs should be in success status.. ---------- Post updated at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:45 PM ----------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_panky
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

schedule a job without Cron

Hi All, Is there any way (any utility) to schedule a job to run once in a week on RedHat Linux ? Note- Do not using Crontab. Thanks Pravin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pravin27
1 Replies
UNAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  UNAME(1)

NAME
uname -- Print operating system name SYNOPSIS
uname [-amnprsv] DESCRIPTION
The uname utility writes symbols representing one or more system characteristics to the standard output. The following options are available: -a Behave as though all of the options -mnrsv were specified. -m print the machine hardware name. -n print the nodename (the nodename may be a name that the system is known by to a communications network). -p print the machine processor architecture name. -r print the operating system release. -s print the operating system name. -v print the operating system version. If no options are specified, uname prints the operating system name as if the -s option had been specified. SEE ALSO
hostname(1), machine(1), sw_vers(1), uname(3) STANDARDS
The uname utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). The -p option is an extension to the standard. BSD
November 9, 1998 BSD