Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Select record with MAX value in MySQL Post 302433402 by pludi on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 01:03:20 PM
Old 06-29-2010
It's been a while since I've spoken MySQL... but I'd do it this way
Code:
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX IX_uploaded_name_time ON uploaded ( file_name, file_time )

But the ALTER TABLE syntax (the first one) should get you the same result. If not, you can always drop and re-create the index.

It would be interesting tho to see the comparison of the execution timing and EXPLAIN plan with and without the indices.

And if you want to optimize further, here's an article on how to use the MySQL profiler.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select Record based on First Column

Hi, I have a file with multiple records...and I have to select records based on first column....here is the sample file... I01,abc,125,1a2,LBVI02 I01,abc,126,2b5,LBVI02 I02,20070530,254,abc,LLBI01 I02,20070820,111,bvd,NGBI01 I need all records with I01 in first field in one file and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mysql select query optimization..

hi.. i need to optimize my select query .. my situation is like this .. i have 15 lac recors in my table.. the following query takes nine seconds to give the required output.. SELECT max(ah.AUC_AMT), SUBSTRING_INDEX(GROUP_CONCAT(SUBSTRING_INDEX(ah.AUC_CUS_NAME,'@',1) order by AUC_AMT... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mysql select query optimization..

hi.. i need to optimize my select query .. my situation is like this .. i have 15 lac recors in my table.. the following query takes nine seconds to give the required output.. SELECT max(ah.AUC_AMT), SUBSTRING_INDEX(GROUP_CONCAT(SUBSTRING_INDEX(ah.AUC_CUS_NAME,'@',1) order by AUC_AMT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senkerth
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select max value based on filename

Hi, I would just like to know how to get the file with the max filename on a directory and get rid of all the others. For example, in directory A:/ i have the ff files: APPLE2001 APPLE2002 APPLE2003 GRAPE2004 what I want to get is the max in files whose filenames start with APPLE*,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madden
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Max value Record from a File

I have a file with 3 columns I want to get the record with the max salary. If there are more than 1 record having the highest salary, i want any one of them. empid,ename,Sal 1,abc,100 2,def,200 3,xyz,300 4,pqr,100 5,mnq,300 Output Any record with 300 as salary Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: traininfa
1 Replies

6. Programming

Getting Rows from a MySQL Table with max values?

I feel stupid for asking this because it seems that MYSQL code isn't working the way that I think it should work. Basically I wrote code like this: select * from `Test_DC_Trailer` HAVING max(DR_RefKey); Where the DR_RefKey is a unique numeric field that is auto iterated (like a primary key)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Astrocloud
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select record having different value in second column

I want records which have more than one and different value in the second column on the below sample file. Ex, I have the samle file below :- XYZ 1 XYZ 3 abc 1 abc 1 qwe 2 qwe 1 qwe 3 I want to select XYZ and QWE line only. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev Yadav
6 Replies

8. Programming

MySQL select user with the same IP address

Dear community, I woul like to make a query to output all the users having the same IP address. The table is somethig like: name logged_ip ==== ========= user1 127.0.0.1 user2 127.0.0.2 user3 127.0.0.3 user4 127.0.0.1 user5 127.0.0.2 user6 127.0.0.5I used this query... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to record max memory usage of program

Hello, I am working on an application that uses allot of memory depending on the input. I am also working on more than one processing algorithm. The program has a long processing time (hours) so it would be nice to be able to monitor the maximum memory footprint of the application during runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies
INDEX(7) SQL Commands ALTER INDEX(7) NAME
ALTER INDEX - change the definition of an index SYNOPSIS
ALTER INDEX name RENAME TO new_name ALTER INDEX name SET TABLESPACE tablespace_name ALTER INDEX name SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) ALTER INDEX name RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) DESCRIPTION
ALTER INDEX changes the definition of an existing index. There are several subforms: RENAME The RENAME form changes the name of the index. There is no effect on the stored data. SET TABLESPACE This form changes the index's tablespace to the specified tablespace and moves the data file(s) associated with the index to the new tablespace. See also CREATE TABLESPACE [create_tablespace(7)]. SET ( storage_parameter = value [, ... ] ) This form changes one or more index-method-specific storage parameters for the index. See CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)] for details on the available parameters. Note that the index contents will not be modified immediately by this command; depending on the parame- ter you might need to rebuild the index with REINDEX [reindex(7)] to get the desired effects. RESET ( storage_parameter [, ... ] ) This form resets one or more index-method-specific storage parameters to their defaults. As with SET, a REINDEX might be needed to update the index entirely. PARAMETERS
name The name (possibly schema-qualified) of an existing index to alter. new_name The new name for the index. tablespace_name The tablespace to which the index will be moved. storage_parameter The name of an index-method-specific storage parameter. value The new value for an index-method-specific storage parameter. This might be a number or a word depending on the parameter. NOTES
These operations are also possible using ALTER TABLE [alter_table(7)]. ALTER INDEX is in fact just an alias for the forms of ALTER TABLE that apply to indexes. There was formerly an ALTER INDEX OWNER variant, but this is now ignored (with a warning). An index cannot have an owner different from its table's owner. Changing the table's owner automatically changes the index as well. Changing any part of a system catalog index is not permitted. EXAMPLES
To rename an existing index: ALTER INDEX distributors RENAME TO suppliers; To move an index to a different tablespace: ALTER INDEX distributors SET TABLESPACE fasttablespace; To change an index's fill factor (assuming that the index method supports it): ALTER INDEX distributors SET (fillfactor = 75); REINDEX INDEX distributors; COMPATIBILITY
ALTER INDEX is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
CREATE INDEX [create_index(7)], REINDEX [reindex(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 ALTER INDEX(7)