Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed scripts are not playing nicely! Post 302433359 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 09:59:02 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphelge
The end result should look like:
HTML Code:
<tr><td><b>SLY<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
Third, or fourth, or fift borough, I'll answer him
by law: I'll not budge an inch, boy: let him come,
<tr><td>15<\/td><\/tr>
and kindly.
<tr><td><b>[Falls asleep.]<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
<tr><td><b>[Wind horns. Enter a LORD from hunting, with his TRAIN.]<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
<tr><td><b>LORD<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
Huntsman, I charge thee, tender well my hounds:
Brach Merriman, the poor cur is emboss'd;
And couple Clowder with the deep-mouth'd brach.
Saw'st thou not, boy, how Silver made it good
<tr><td>20<\/td><\/tr>
At the hedge-corner, in the coldest fault?
I would not lose the dog for twenty pound.
<tr><td><b>FIRST_HUNTSMAN<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
Why, Belman is as good as he, my lord;
He cried upon it at the merest loss
And twice today pick'd out the dullest scent:
<tr><td><a href="25Top" name="25"><u><b>25<\/b><\/u><\/a><\/td><\/tr>
Trust me, I take him for the better dog.
<tr><td><b>LORD<\/b><\/td><\/tr>
Thou art a fool: if Echo were as fleet,

That's not anything close to valid HTML, even after removing the extra backslashes. (http://cfajohnson.com/testing/bard.html)

Try posting something that looks reasonably like the rendered HTML you want rather than the source code. I'm sure it can be done with no more than half a dozen lines in awk.

Last edited by cfajohnson; 06-29-2010 at 11:04 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nicely formatted directory listing from batch ssh session

Hi, I am really struggling to finish of a script I have been assigned. The script's purpose is to log on to each server defined in an array, determine the Web Server version, and list the directory beneath the installation directory. In my case, this installation directory is almost always... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grebbux
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tab string variables nicely

I'm using korn shell for my shell script I'm reading a file and get the data I want out and append it to a variable directly, it shows like this AutoMicroReport_53767.txt BANI BHUM (570N) 20080520 17:54 WAN HAI 306 078 ITH 1 1 HKHKG 20 GP M S06 7 6 1 0 TCYONG AutoMicroReport_53767.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

number sign(#) in sed scripts

Hi. In a simple sed script i have number signs - #. But i can't find any description on their functionality. One thing that i find is that # in sed scripts can mean comment if it is placed in the beginning of the line. I thought may be this undocumented(for me) behavior refers to regular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kukuruku
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Display mysql results nicely

Hi, perhaps this is a dumb question. I'm running queries on mysql and I'm getting tabbed results like these: mysql> SELECT * from metrics_status WHERE date = '2012-03-30'; <TABLE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Scripts Using sed in multiple files.

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a problem that i am trying to work on and it requires me to change text within multiple files using sed. I use the program to change an occurance of a word throughout different files that are being tested. At first i had to Create a new script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Shell Scripts Using sed in multiple files.

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a problem that i am trying to work on and it requires me to change text within multiple files using sed. What i have so far is !/bin/sh File1="$3" File2="$4" File3="$5" testNum="$File1" while test "$testNum" <= "$File3"; do echo... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed command playing with me!

Hello guys, I was working with my data (a tab delimted text file) in Linux and wanted to replace all "NaN" values in my huge table with "NA", so i used the following sed command: sed 's/NaN/NA/g' /filepath -> outputfile.txt The results were good, all "NaN" were replaced with "NA", but the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Error404
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename scripts using xargs/sed

Morning all I've got loads of scripts but the names are too long! I've stuck the list in a flat file (names) and I'm trying to read that in line by line and create the new names (in to directory new) from the list. It looks like this: xargs -n1 -I{} <names cat {} | sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Asst: Using Shell Scripts with sed

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: One problem with the use of sed in simple text substitutions is that sed will intepret some characters as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raymondbn
1 Replies