Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suppressing output of a spawned telnet process Post 302433281 by arun_maffy on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 06:45:21 AM
Old 06-29-2010
I'm using AIX and this is the output I'm getting

Code:
date
exit
Tue Jun 29 06:45:40 EDT 2010
<Hostname>exit
Connection closed.

Last edited by arun_maffy; 06-29-2010 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: adding script output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit from telnet kills orbix process

Hi, I'm using a bourne shell to kick off a 3rd Pty app. This app uses Orbix. When I exit from the telnet session which started the app or hit CTRL-C at the command line, the orbix process dies, yet all other process remain. I've tried starting the app as a background process, but it still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any cmd to kill a process including its childs ( or sub processes spawned by

Dear Unix Gurus, Here is my query. If i start a script,it inturn calls many other scripts ..and most of them continue to run in parallel. Suppose,if i want to stop my script for some reason,i need to kill -9 each of the processes running.It becomes clumsy if the sub processes r more. ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvsreddy_539
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Suppressing output to the screen

I want to check whether the variable read from the console is number or character , so i used echo $option|grep and checked the reuslt returned by grep cmd using $? But since I use echo the value is getting printed in the screen , I want to supress the o/p. Can anyone suggest how this can be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suppressing the automatic output of "script"

Is there a way to suppress the output that script command displays - "Script command started..." (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding apache process id that is spawned by a wget

Hi, I have a situation where I am writing a programme that runs a series of long running PHP scripts that can take anything from 20 minutes to 10 hours to execute. I have a solution half implemented where I use via php exec(wget <location to command>) and get the process id back. This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrploddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process behavior different when spawned from single terminal

So this one just plain confuses me. I have a bunch of somewhat CPU intensive processes that all communicate using a shared memory region. Some of these programs are threaded and some also change the scheduling to FIFO or round robin. The good news is that everything works as long as I spawn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: talkingfennel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing received value from send, spawned telnet session

Hi Guys, I'm completely new to bash and trying to write a script to spawn a telnet session to retrieve the RSSI value of my device and log the average value of the RSSI over 20 samples. I know that my command does return the RSSI value successfully but my bash scripting is letting me down. I'm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwkm
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect the output of the telnet to a file

Hi, I am using cygwin. Below is my script that reads all ip ports for iplist.txt and telnets to it. ( file="iplist.txt" while read line do echo $line echo $(telnet $line) done <"$file" ) > output2.txt ~ while the output2.txt gets the first echo but does not show the second... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet and get process count

Hi guys, I'm writing a script on a Solaris 10 server (server A) that needs to telnet 2 servers (server B & server C) and get a certain process count from these 2 servers. Then on server A, I check if both counts are greater than 17, I do a sendmail to concerned people. For the telnet part,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
7 Replies

10. HP-UX

Suppressing errors from command output

Hi, When I run the command "print_manifest | grep "Main Memory", I get the note : # /opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest | grep "Main Memory" NOTE: Could not read the /etc/resolv.conf file. Main Memory: 196498 MB # How do I suppress the part : NOTE: Could not read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
4 Replies
msgchk(1)						      General Commands Manual							 msgchk(1)

NAME
msgchk - check for messages (only available within the message handling system, mh) SYNOPSIS
msgchk [-help] [-nodate] [-notify all | | | mail | | | nomail] [users ... ] OPTIONS
Prints a list of the valid options for this command. Prints the date when you last read your mail. This is the default behavior of msgchk. The -nodate option can be used of you do not want to print this date. Indicates under what circumstances msgchk should produce a message. There are three legal values: all, mail, and nomail. The default is -notify all, which reports the status of the maildrop regardless of whether it has mail in it or not. The -notify mail option reports the status of the maildrop only if there is mail waiting. The -notify nomail option reports the status of the maildrop only if there is no mail in it. Specifies the source which are checked for mail. The only value allowed is file, which is the user's maildrop. Additional values are supported only for use with other mail systems. DESCRIPTION
The msgchk program checks all known mail drops for mail that is waiting for you. It displays whether you have mail waiting to be read or not and shows the date that you last read your mail. You can check other user's maildrops by specifying their user names as the users argument on the command line. RESTRICTIONS
msgchk does not understand the $MAILDROP environmental variable. If mail is fetched from a location other than /usr/spool/mail/$USER, msgchk will not be able to determine if new mail has arrived. However, inc can still be used to fetch mail when it arrives. For this version, the -source option only supports the value file. Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems. EXAMPLES
This example shows a user Smith checking his own maildrop: % msgchk Smith: New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 1988 17:21:49 WET The next example shows a user checking the maildrops of two other local users on the same system, Rabb and Jones: % msgchk Rabb Jones Rabb: No file-source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 1997 13:22:25 WET Jones: New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 1997 17:30:05 WET FILES
The user profile. The system customization file. The user's maildrop. SEE ALSO
inc(1) msgchk(1)