Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to traverse directory structure and sum size of files? Post 302433248 by ni2 on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 04:41:43 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaypraj
Code:
sum=0
for k in `find . -mtime -730 -mtime +365 -exec ls -l {} \+ | awk '{print $5}'`
do
   sum=$((sum+k))
done
echo "Total file size is $sum"

Another untested version of the above.

Code:
find . -mtime -730 -mtime +365 -exec ls -l {} \+  | awk '{  x += $5  } END {print "Total file size is "x}'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MV files from one directory structure(multiple level) to other directory structure

Hi, I am trying to write a script that will move all the files from source directory structure(multiple levels might exist) to destination directory structure. If a sub folder is source doesnot exist in destination then I have to skip and goto next level. I also need to delete the files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: srmadab
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy files with directory structure

i have a text file as. /database/sp/NTR_Update_Imsi_List.sql /database/sp/NTR_Update_Imsi_Range_List.sql /database/sp/NTR_Vlr_Upload.sql /database/tables/StatsTables.sql /mib/ntr.mib /mib/ntr.v2.mib /scripts/operations/ntr/IMSITracer.ph /scripts/operations/ntr/IMSITracer.pl ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adddy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find size, cp breaks directory structure

I'm using this now: find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /bin/cp -uv {} /some/path/ \; but it doesn't preserve the directory structure, also I've tried it with find /some/path/with/sourcefiles -type f -size -7M -exec /usr/bin/rsync -auv {} /some/path/ \; but that doesn't... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum up files whose size Kbytes and Mbytes

Hello Friends, When i type du -sh *.jar | sort -n under a library directory i get a result similar below output: 1M 1.jar 2.4M 2.jar 4.5M 3.jar . . . . . . 1K (n-2).jar 15K (n-1).jar 77.7K n.jar I want to sum up the size... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum of file size in directory / subdirectory

Hi , I am trying to write something to find the size of particular type of files in a directory & it's subdirectory and sum the size .. These types of file are found at directory level or its subdirectories level .. #!/bin/ksh FNAME='.pdf' S_PATH=/abc/def/xyz find $S_PATH -exec ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vaddadi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Traverse file structure from top and rename the immediate parent

Hello All, I am trying to write a script to:- 1. Traverse entire file system, look for directories which has .git directory in it 2. Rename the immediate parent directory to <orignal_name.git> 3. Traverse new file structure and look for all directories with <original_name>.git 4. cd to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the set of files size as a sum in a directory.

Hi, Can someone help me to get the complete files size (sum) over a perod time (1 day,2days)in a directory. eg: Directory :ABC I have a1,a2,a3 files are created in last 24 hours so I need to get the some of all these files. I am using the below find command but its giving me the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaddamja
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving files keeping the same structure directory

Hello Team, We would like to backup a lot of files inside of a structure of directories, four, five or more levels in some Ubuntu, Mac and Solaris systems. For instance: /home/chuck/sales/virgin/rent-quote.pdf /home/chuck/sales/marriott/vacation-quote.pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csierra
2 Replies
sum(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   sum(1B)

NAME
sum - calculate a checksum for a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/sum file... DESCRIPTION
sum calculates and displays a 16-bit checksum for the named file and displays the size of the file in kilobytes. It is typically used to look for bad spots, or to validate a file communicated over some transmission line. The checksum is calculated by an algorithm which may yield different results on machines with 16-bit ints and machines with 32-bit ints, so it cannot always be used to validate that a file has been transferred between machines with different-sized ints. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of sum when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sum(1), wc(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Read error is indistinguishable from EOF on most devices; check the block count. NOTES
sum and /usr/bin/sum (see sum(1)) return different checksums. This utility is obsolete. SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 1995 sum(1B)