Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris iostat as a tool for generating disk IO Post 302433246 by SmartAntz on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 04:39:44 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlliagre
You are not using ksh or bash but still the legacy sh.

Run
Code:
ksh iostat.sh

or better
Code:
chmod +x iostat.sh
./iostat.sh

yes, work nice ! but how i know which one is refer to EMC storage ?
** u01 and u02 is the storage from EMC

Code:
root@mercury # ./iostat.sh
Usage: nawk [-f programfile | 'program'] [-Ffieldsep] [-v var=value] [files]
./iostat.sh[4]: {print $11}:  not found
md0
md1
md3
md10
md11
md13
md20
md21
md23
sd0
sd2
sd4
ssd0
ssd1
ssd4
ssd5
st2
nfs1
nfs2
nfs3
nfs4
nfs5
root@mercury #

Code:
root@mercury # df -h
Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/md/dsk/d0          20G   6.4G    13G    33%    /
/devices                 0K     0K     0K     0%    /devices
ctfs                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/contract
proc                     0K     0K     0K     0%    /proc
mnttab                   0K     0K     0K     0%    /etc/mnttab
swap                   9.9G   1.6M   9.9G     1%    /etc/svc/volatile
objfs                    0K     0K     0K     0%    /system/object
fd                       0K     0K     0K     0%    /dev/fd
/dev/md/dsk/d3          24G   2.9G    21G    13%    /var
swap                   9.9G   1.0M   9.9G     1%    /tmp
swap                   9.9G    88K   9.9G     1%    /var/run
swap                   9.9G     0K   9.9G     0%    /dev/vx/dmp
swap                   9.9G     0K   9.9G     0%    /dev/vx/rdmp
/dev/vx/dsk/smsdg/vol02
                       300G   140G   150G    49%    /u02
/dev/vx/dsk/smsdg/vol01
                       300G   216G    79G    74%    /u01
centaurus:/u01/oracle/sms5
                       404G   380G    20G    96%    /u07
centaurus:/u02/oracle/dss5
                       404G   398G   1.4G   100%    /u08
gemini:/u09            492G    39G   449G     8%    /u09
gemini:/u10            492G   132G   356G    27%    /u10
root@mercury #

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3 Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks. Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: funsje
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help a newbie with an iostat/disk space question.

Hello, On Solaris 10, iostat -E gives me the following results: sd1 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAY2073RCSUN72G Revision: 0501 Serial No: 0708S08M2L Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lieselr
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

A tcpdump-like tool for disk I/O?

Hi, can anyone please suggest a tool to dump i/o packets just like tcpdump does for network traffic. Basically I have a complex dataflow that needs to be optimized and I want to see how packets go to/from disk - what goes randomly and sequentially. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmi
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

9. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Problem in getting total Disk space using iostat -En command

Hi Everyone, I try to calculate the total hard disk space of a solaris machine using iostat -En command. Iterating the output and summing up all the number present near the Size: will give the exact size of the harddisk. But it is not working for a machine. This command works in many flavors... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasankn
2 Replies
scdpm(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 scdpm(1M)

NAME
scdpm - manage disk path monitoring daemon SYNOPSIS
scdpm [-a] {node | all} scdpm -f filename scdpm -m {[node | all][:/dev/did/rdsk/]dN | [:/dev/rdsk/]cNtXdY | all} scdpm -n {node | all} scdpm -p [-F] {[node | all][:/dev/did/rdsk/]dN | [/dev/rdsk/]cNtXdY | all} scdpm -u {[node | all][:/dev/did/rdsk/]dN | [/dev/rdsk/]cNtXdY | all} DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. The scdpm command manages the disk path monitoring daemon in a cluster. You use this command to monitor and unmonitor disk paths. You can also use this command to display the status of disk paths or nodes. All of the accessible disk paths in the cluster or on a specific node are printed on the standard output. You must run this command on a cluster node that is online and in cluster mode. You can specify either a global disk name or a UNIX path name when you monitor a new disk path. Additionally, you can force the daemon to reread the entire disk configuration. You can use this command only in the global zone. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Enables the automatic rebooting of a node when all monitored disk paths fail, provided that the following conditions are met: o All monitored disk paths on the node fail. o At least one of the disks is accessible from a different node in the cluster. You can use this option only in the global zone. Rebooting the node restarts all resource and device groups that are mastered on that node on another node. If all monitored disk paths on a node remain inaccessible after the node automatically reboots, the node does not automatically reboot again. However, if any monitored disk paths become available after the node reboots but then all monitored disk paths again fail, the node automatically reboots again. You need solaris.cluster.device.admin role-based access control (RBAC) authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). -F If you specify the -F option with the -p option, scdpm also prints the faulty disk paths in the cluster. The -p option prints the cur- rent status of a node or a specified disk path from all the nodes that are attached to the storage. -f filename Reads a list of disk paths to monitor or unmonitor in filename. You can use this option only in the global zone. The following example shows the contents of filename. u schost-1:/dev/did/rdsk/d5 m schost-2:all Each line in the file must specify whether to monitor or unmonitor the disk path, the node name, and the disk path name. You specify the m option for monitor and the u option for unmonitor. You must insert a space between the command and the node name. You must also insert a colon (:) between the node name and the disk path name. You need solaris.cluster.device.admin RBAC authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). -m Monitors the new disk path that is specified by node:diskpath. You can use this option only in the global zone. You need solaris.cluster.device.admin RBAC authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). -n Disables the automatic rebooting of a node when all monitored disk paths fail. You can use this option only in the global zone. If all monitored disk paths on the node fail, the node is not rebooted. You need solaris.cluster.device.admin RBAC authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). -p Prints the current status of a node or a specified disk path from all the nodes that are attached to the storage. You can use this option only in the global zone. If you also specify the -F option, scdpm prints the faulty disk paths in the cluster. Valid status values for a disk path are Ok, Fail, Unmonitored, or Unknown. The valid status value for a node is Reboot_on_disk_failure. See the description of the -a and the -n options for more information about the Reboot_on_disk_failure status. You need solaris.cluster.device.read RBAC authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). -u Unmonitors a disk path. The daemon on each node stops monitoring the specified path. You can use this option only in the global zone. You need solaris.cluster.device.admin RBAC authorization to use this option. See rbac(5). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Monitoring All Disk Paths in the Cluster Infrastructure The following command forces the daemon to monitor all disk paths in the cluster infrastructure. # scdpm -m all Example 2 Monitoring a New Disk Path The following command monitors a new disk path.All nodes monitor /dev/did/dsk/d3 where this path is valid. # scdpm -m /dev/did/dsk/d3 Example 3 Monitoring New Disk Paths on a Single Node The following command monitors new paths on a single node. The daemon on the schost-2 node monitors paths to the /dev/did/dsk/d4 and /dev/did/dsk/d5 disks. # scdpm -m schost-2:d4 -m schost-2:d5 Example 4 Printing All Disk Paths and Their Status The following command prints all disk paths in the cluster and their status. # scdpm -p schost-1:reboot_on_disk_failure enabled schost-2:reboot_on_disk_failure disabled schost-1:/dev/did/dsk/d4 Ok schost-1:/dev/did/dsk/d3 Ok schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d4 Fail schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d3 Ok schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d5 Unmonitored schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d6 Ok Example 5 Printing All Failed Disk Paths The following command prints all of the failed disk paths on the schost-2 node. # scdpm -p -F all schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d4 Fail Example 6 Printing the Status of All Disk Paths From a Single Node The following command prints the disk path and the status of all disks that are monitored on the schost-2 node. # scdpm -p schost-2:all schost-2:reboot_on_disk_failure disabled schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d4 Fail schost-2:/dev/did/dsk/d3 Ok EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command failed completely. 2 The command failed partially. Note - The disk path is represented by a node name and a disk name. The node name must be the host name or all. The disk name must be the global disk name, a UNIX path name, or all. The disk name can be either the full global path name or the disk name: /dev/did/dsk/d3 or d3. The disk name can also be the full UNIX path name: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0. Disk path status changes are logged with the syslogd LOG_INFO facility level. All failures are logged with the LOG_ERR facility level. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), cldevice(1CL), clnode(1CL), attributes(5) Sun Cluster System Administration Guide for Solaris OS Sun Cluster 3.2 22 Jun 2006 scdpm(1M)