Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris iostat as a tool for generating disk IO Post 302433243 by jlliagre on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 04:29:35 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAntz
erm..

i create iostat.sh file, and try to use all the bash,ksh,sh,
all come out the same error, any idea?
You are not using ksh or bash but still the legacy sh.

Run
Code:
ksh iostat.sh

or better
Code:
chmod +x iostat.sh
./iostat.sh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3 Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks. Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: funsje
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help a newbie with an iostat/disk space question.

Hello, On Solaris 10, iostat -E gives me the following results: sd1 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAY2073RCSUN72G Revision: 0501 Serial No: 0708S08M2L Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lieselr
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

A tcpdump-like tool for disk I/O?

Hi, can anyone please suggest a tool to dump i/o packets just like tcpdump does for network traffic. Basically I have a complex dataflow that needs to be optimized and I want to see how packets go to/from disk - what goes randomly and sequentially. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmi
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

9. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Problem in getting total Disk space using iostat -En command

Hi Everyone, I try to calculate the total hard disk space of a solaris machine using iostat -En command. Iterating the output and summing up all the number present near the Size: will give the exact size of the harddisk. But it is not working for a machine. This command works in many flavors... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasankn
2 Replies
IOSTAT2PCP(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						     IOSTAT2PCP(1)

NAME
iostat2pcp - Import iostat data and create a PCP archive SYNOPSIS
iostat2pcp [-v] [-S start] [-t interval] [-Z timezone] infile outfile DESCRIPTION
iostat2pcp reads a text file created with iostat(1) (infile) and translates this into a Performance Co-Pilot (PCP) archive with the basename outfile. If infile is "-" then iostat2pcp reads for standard input, allowing easy preprocessing of the iostat(1) output with sed(1) or similar. The resultant PCP archive may be used with all the PCP client tools to graph subsets of the data using pmchart(1), perform data reduction and reporting, filter with the PCP inference engine pmie(1), etc. A series of physical files will be created with the prefix outfile. These are outfile.0 (the performance data), outfile.meta (the metadata that describes the performance data) and outfile.index (a temporal index to improve efficiency of replay operations for the archive). If any of these files exists already, then iostat2pcp will not overwrite them and will exit with an error message. The first output sample from iostat(1) contains a statistical summary since boot time and is ignored by iostat2pcp, so the first real data set is the second one in the iostat(1) output. The best results are obtained when iostat(1) was run with its own -t flag, so each output sample is prefixed with a timestamp. Even better is -t with $S_TIME_FORMAT=ISO set in environment when iostat(1) is run, in which case the timestamp includes the timezone. Note that if $S_TIME_FORMAT=ISO is not used with the -t option then iostat(1) may produce a timestamp controlled by LC_TIME from the locale that is in a format iostat2pcp cannot parse. The formats for the timestamp that iostat2pcp accepts are illustrated by these examples: 2013-07-06T21:34:39+1000 (for the $S_TIME_FORMAT=ISO). 2013-07-06 21:34:39 (for some of the European formats, e.g. de_AT, de_BE, de_LU and en_DK.utf8). 06/07/13 21:34:39 (for all of the $LC_TIME settings for English locales outside North America, e.g. en_AU, en_GB, en_IE, en_NZ, en_SG and en_ZA, and all the Spanish locales, e.g. es_ES, es_MX and es_AR). In particular, note that some common North American $LC_TIME settings will not work with iostat2pcp (namely, en_US, POSIX and C) because they use the MM/DD format which may be incorrectly converted with the assumed DD/MM format. This is another reason to recommend setting $S_TIME_FORMAT=ISO. If there are no timestamps in the input stream, iostat2pcp will try and deduce the sample interval if basic Disk data (-d option for iostat(1)) is found. If this fails, then the -t option may be used to specify the sample interval in seconds. This option is ignored if timestamps are found in the input stream. The -S option may be used to specify as start time for the first real sample in infile, where start must have the format HH:MM:SS. This option is ignored if timestamps are found in the input stream. The -Z option may be used to specify a timezone. It must have the format +HHMM (for hours and minutes East of UTC) or -HHMM (for hours and minutes West of UTC). Note in particular that neither the zoneinfo (aka Olson) format, e.g. Europe/Paris, nor the Posix TZ format, e.g. EST+5 is allowed for the -Z option. This option is ignored if ISO timestamps are found in the input stream. If the timezone is not specified and cannot be deduced, it defaults to "UTC". Some additional diagnostic output is generated with the -v option. iostat2pcp is a Perl script that uses the PCP::LogImport Perl wrapper around the PCP libpcp_import library, and as such could be used as an example to develop new tools to import other types of performance data and create PCP archives. CAVEAT
iostat2pcp requires infile to have been created by the version of iostat(1) from <http://freshmeat.net/projects/sysstat>. iostat2pcp handles the -c (CPU), -d (Disk), -x (eXtended Disk) and -p (Partition) report formats (including their -k, -m, -z and ALL variants), but does not accommodate the -n (Network Filesystem) report format from iostat(1); this is a demand-driven limitation rather than a technical limitation. SEE ALSO
Date::Format(3pm), Date::Parse(3pm), iostat(1), LOGIMPORT(3), PCP::LogImport(3pm), pmchart(1), pmie(1), pmlogger(1) and sed(1). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot IOSTAT2PCP(1)