Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris iostat as a tool for generating disk IO Post 302433225 by jlliagre on Tuesday 29th of June 2010 03:44:57 AM
Old 06-29-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAntz
but how do i know those sd0, sd1 .... is refer to which device?
Here is one way:
Code:
pr -tm <(iostat -x | tail +3 | nawk '{print $1}') <(iostat -xn | tail +3 | nawk '{print $11}')

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

2. AIX

AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3 Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks. Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: funsje
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help a newbie with an iostat/disk space question.

Hello, On Solaris 10, iostat -E gives me the following results: sd1 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAY2073RCSUN72G Revision: 0501 Serial No: 0708S08M2L Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lieselr
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

A tcpdump-like tool for disk I/O?

Hi, can anyone please suggest a tool to dump i/o packets just like tcpdump does for network traffic. Basically I have a complex dataflow that needs to be optimized and I want to see how packets go to/from disk - what goes randomly and sequentially. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsmi
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Programming

Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX

Writing a Tool to simulate non-sequential disk I/O (simulate db file sequential read) in C POSIX I have over the years come across the same issue a couple of times, and it normally is that the read speed on SAN is absolutely atrocious when doing non-sequential I/O to the disks. Problem being of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrghost
7 Replies

8. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

9. AIX

Help with iostat

Hello, I support Oracle 11g on AIX 7.1. Using the command $iostat -D hdisk2 hdisk4 hdisk5 5 I get the following output: hdisk5 xfer: %tm_act bps tps bread bwrtn 44.0 1.4M 178.2 1.4M 14.7K read: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracledba1024
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Problem in getting total Disk space using iostat -En command

Hi Everyone, I try to calculate the total hard disk space of a solaris machine using iostat -En command. Iterating the output and summing up all the number present near the Size: will give the exact size of the harddisk. But it is not working for a machine. This command works in many flavors... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasankn
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)