Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Start process independent from TERMINAL (or also with PPID 1) Post 302433109 by jlliagre on Monday 28th of June 2010 01:47:07 PM
Old 06-28-2010
Try detaching the process from your tty. This sometimes help:
Code:
 nohup script-file </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start process in shellscript at other terminal

A programming running in tty0 crashes. In a second terminal I kill all the processes. Can i start the program again from this terminal? Yes, I can, but it starts in tty1, and when i close the terminal, the program closes. Now I want to start the program from tty1 in tty0, so i can close... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benschell
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to Launch an independent process.

Hello, I needed a help please... I have an application which launches process. For this i am using fork and execv method calls. By doing this my launched process are now child process of the parent process(launching process). I dont want this to happen, i want the process that is launched to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepthi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends?

Hi all, I'm doing automation task for my team and I just started to learn unix scripting so please shed some light on how to do this: 1) I have 2 sets of datafiles - datafile A and B. These datafiles must be loaded subsequently and cannot be loaded concurrently. 2) So I loaded datafile A... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
10 Replies

5. Solaris

why process PPID changes to 1

Hi All, I have just started using SUN Solaris o.s version is :SunOS spdwa013(my server name) 5.8 Generic_117350-61 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R My problem is that i have some processes running on that server they have a PID and a PPID. But sometimes the PPID for a particular process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting a process whose ppid should be 1

How can I start a process with ppid as 1 instead of my current shell pid? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Name from PPID

Hi, I am currently trying to pin down a process NAME (could be a cron job or a tty) in Solaris. First I obtained a pid and then a ppid. I want to take the PPID and from there find the program/process that is making the VSH go high (cpu usage). I am currently trying to go up the chain using PS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: troystevens
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Session independent process

Hi i am trying to run a report which takes approx 5 hours to complete so what i did i put that reporting command in background and then this reporting process started executed in background but the problem is when i close that session that background job lost :( .... please help me that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
3 Replies

10. AIX

Process on a specified Terminal and Socket Port does not start

Hi, I new to AIX, and I have been using Rocket UniData in it. I had to set up a Process for Data Exchange by assigning a unique Terminal and a Socket Port to that process. I ran the process for the first time and it was successful and after use I stopped the process. Now when I want to run it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BejoyS
3 Replies
NOHUP(1)							   User Commands							  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup - run a command immune to hangups, with output to a non-tty SYNOPSIS
nohup COMMAND [ARG]... nohup OPTION DESCRIPTION
Run COMMAND, ignoring hangup signals. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If standard input is a terminal, redirect it from an unreadable file. If standard output is a terminal, append output to 'nohup.out' if possible, '$HOME/nohup.out' otherwise. If standard error is a terminal, redirect it to standard output. To save output to FILE, use 'nohup COMMAND > FILE'. NOTE: your shell may have its own version of nohup, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's doc- umentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report nohup translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/nohup> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) nohup invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 NOHUP(1)