Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to search and list file with wildcard character Post 302432894 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 27th of June 2010 10:23:50 PM
Old 06-27-2010
BY date do you mean when the file was last written to?
Code:
touch -t 201050800000 dummy
touch -t 201005082359 dummy1
find /path/to/files -name ABC????????.DAT  \( -newer dummy -a ! -newer dummy1 \) -exec ls -l {} \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED? I have the file below: $ more input2 AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F CCC /G/H/I DDD I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below: AAA BBB CCC I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a non zero character in file

Hi, I have a log file which has entries as Staged 0 records from fn.dat (0 failed) 01/01 01:01:01 I 0 Error Transactions I want to find out any line that has an entry like "(1 failed)" or "(2 failed)" or any number in general ( >0 ) similarly it should search for string like "1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to list a file in a folder containing 800,000 files using wildcard

Hi, I have a directory with possibly around 800,000 files in it. What is the fastest way to list file(s) in this directory with a wildcard. for example would ls -1 *.abcdefg.Z or find . -name "*.abcdefg.Z" be the fastest way to find all of the files that end with .abcdefg.Z... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix wildcard character question

1. Is . wildcard? , the documented wildcard are "*", "?", and "" . seems mean everything, the follwing cmd will copy everything cp -r /tmp/test1/. /tmp/test2/ However it doesn't work for rm, why? $ ls -a . .. .a .aa aa t2 $ rm -rf . $ ls -a . .. .a .aa ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take a list if strings from a file and search them in a list of files and report them

I have a file 1.txt with the below contents. -----cat 1.txt----- 1234 5678 1256 1234 1247 ------------------- I have 3 more files in a folder -----ls -lrt------- A1.txt A2.txt A3.txt ------------------- The contents of those three files are similar format with different data values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: realspirituals
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Wildcard search

How can i grep for a pattern with wildcard using grep? I want to identify all the lines that start with SAM and end in .PIPE IN.TXT SAM_HEADER.PIPE SAM_DETAIL.PIPE SAM_INVOICE.PIPE Can i do something like grep SAM*.PIPE IN.TXT (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky338
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a wildcard text in a file

Hi, I have a file(report.txt) that contains : 0 1 chk_uncov_data_assert 776 chk_uncov_data_assert : assert property (chk_uncov_data) 1 0 chk_data_assert 772 chk_data_assert : assert property (chk_data) 1 0 chk_data_cover ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

WildCard character - not able to understand

Hello, I have one script which looks as given below , . ${0%/*}/init && init_job || exit 1 what I understood is , 1. above syntax has three commands, two on left of || and one on right of ||. 2. ${0%/*} would generate some path. Question. A. What is the meaning of ${0%/*} ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ParthThakkar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard search in if loop

Practice folder contains many files and im interested in extracting file which starts with abc* ghi* xyz* . I need to do variety of operations for different files. if file starts with xyz* then i need to move to some destination otherwise some other destination. I am not able to make wildcard... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaar1986
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and BzGrep with Wildcard in Search Pattern

Hello All, I hope this is the right area. If not, Kindly let me know and I will report in the appropriate spot. I am needing to find a search pattern that will make the * act as Wildcard in the search pattern instead of being literal. The example I am using is bzgrep "to=<*@domain.com>"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mancountry
5 Replies
TOUCH(1)							   User Commands							  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch - change file timestamps SYNOPSIS
touch [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Update the access and modification times of each FILE to the current time. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -a change only the access time -B, --backward=SECONDS Modify the time by going back SECONDS seconds. For example, touch -r foo -B 5 bar will make the file bar 5 seconds older than file foo. -c, --no-create do not create any files -d, --date=STRING parse STRING and use it instead of current time -F, --forward=SECONDS Modify the time by going forward SECONDS seconds. For example, touch -r foo -F 5 bar will make the file bar 5 seconds newer than file foo. -f (ignored) -m change only the modification time -r, --reference=FILE use this file's times instead of current time -t STAMP use [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.ss] instead of current time --time=WORD set time given by WORD: access atime use (same as -a) modify mtime (same as -m) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Note that the -d and -t options accept different time-date formats. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin, Arnold Robbins, Jim Kingdon, David MacKenzie, and Randy Smith. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for touch is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and touch programs are properly installed at your site, the command info touch should give you access to the complete manual. touch (coreutils) 4.5.3 October 2002 TOUCH(1)