Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AWK Memory Limit ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Memory Limit ? Post 302432864 by cold_Que on Sunday 27th of June 2010 08:21:18 PM
Old 06-27-2010
AWK Memory Limit ?

Is there an input file memory limit for awk?

I have a 38Mb text file that I am trying to print out certatin lines and add a string to the end of that line.

When I excute the script on the 38Mb file the string I am adding is put on a new line. If I do the same with a smaller file the string is put on to the end of the line like I requested.

Any suggestions on how to address this issue?

The code excerpt is below;

Code:
if(NR == spcline+1 && FNR != 1 && $0 !~ /101106/) {printf "%1$s%2$s\n", $0 , "  101106"}

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:35 PM ----------

I figured this out. It has nothing to do with memory

The problem is the new line character "\n" in the printf statement. If I remove it then the string remains on the same line.

Any one know how to print out newline characters in a file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all, if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Redhat 2.1 AS Memory Limit?

I have a customer with an HP DL380 G4 server running Redhat 2.1 AS that has 4GB memory installed. They want to upgrade in the server to the maximum of 12GB using (6) 2GB DIMMs. I can do this for them, but I read somewhere that Redhat 2.1 has an upper memory limit. Or you need a kernel patch to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cbish68
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file size limit

My code is awk '{ out=split(FILENAME,a,"/") sub(/\./,"_",a) sub(/\-/,"_",a) NEWSTRING="main_"a"_"a"(" # The word we want to insert gsub(/main\(/,NEWSTRING); # the word to be replaced print "Main becomes ",NEWSTRING")","in file ",FILENAME >> "/home/ds2/test/NEW2.txt" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senior_ahmed
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit output in awk

Hi All, I want to delimit the output using awk. For eg:: a,b,c,d,e,f abc,def,ghi should change to a|b|c|d|e|f abc|def|ghi Or to put in another way.. OFS will work in the following code if I seperate the values with comma (eg. $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6 ). But since the no. of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk awk: program limit exceeded: sprintf buffer size=1020

Hi I have many problems with a script. I have a script that formats a text file but always prints the same error when i try to execute it The code is that: { if (NF==17){ print $0 }else{ fields=NF; all=$0; while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fate
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory limit on php in .sh script

Hi, I have .sh script running php script with "php". When I run php script from web browser, it is running without errors. When I run it from .sh script, I am getting "memory exhausted". It seems to me that running php from .sh does not respect php.ini or have its own setting. So, how can I set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LukasB
0 Replies

7. AIX

Memory limit for C program

Greetings - I'm porting a C application to an AIX (6.1) system, and have bumped into the limits AIX imposes on memory allocation, namely the default limit of 256MB for a process. I'm aware of the compilation flag that allows an application to gain access to up to 8 memory segments (each 256MB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: traviswheeler
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

character limit via awk

I'm using a command that outputs the total size of the files that I've specified. I'd like to introduce a character limit that appends an ellipsis to the lines that go beyond the specified amount. du -chs {query} | sed 's!.*/!!' | awk '{print substr($0,0,25)""}' That's what I have so far.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Cpu, memory - limit by user

Hi all ! I'm new in this site, so sorry if this question is into wrong place. How can I limit cpu/core and memory usage by user? System: RedHat Ent. Linux. 6.4 Tks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiago
4 Replies
ROOTTAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ROOTTAIL(1)

NAME
root-tail - print text directly to X11 root window SYNOPSIS
root-tail [-g|--geometry GEOMETRY] [-fn|--font FONTSPEC] [--color color] [--reload SEC COMMAND] [--shade] [--outline] [--minspace] [--noflicker] [-f|--fork] [--reverse] [--whole] [--partial] [--update] [--cont STRING] [--wordwrap] [--justify] [--noinitial] [--frame] [-id ID] [-i|--interval SECONDS] [-V] file1[,color[,desc]] [file2[,color[,desc]]] DESCRIPTION
Displays a given file anywhere on your X11 root window, i.e. it is kind of tail -f for multiple files using your desktop background as out- put window. All non-option arguments on the command line are files to be logged. A null desc (example: "/var/log/messages,red,") will prevent the printing of a description and the []'s. General Options --color COLOR Use COLOR as default. --font | -fn FONTSPEC Use font FONTSPEC. This can be either a fixed width font like -fn fixed or any font using -fn '-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*' with the appropriate fields filled out (see xfontsel). Specifying a different FONTSPEC before each filename will cause each file to be displayed in a different font. -f | --fork Forks to the background. --reverse Display the files in reverse order, with the newest lines at the top. --whole Only display whole lines. If the last line of a file doesn't yet end with a newline character then wait until it does before dis- playing it. This is the default if more than one file is being displayed. --partial This is the opposite of the --whole option (see above). It displays lines even if they don't yet have a newline at the end. This is the default if only one file is being displayed. --update Update partial lines 'in place' if they are still on the screen when they are updated in their files. Using --update automatically turns on --partial. --cont STRING When partial lines are broken into two lines in the display, prefix the 2nd line with STRING. Defaults to "|| ". Specify the "--whole" argument to ensure partial lines are never displayed, or specify "--update" to attempt to "repair" broken lines in-place. --cont-color COLOR Use COLOR when displaying the continuation string (as optionally specified with the --cont option above). --wordwrap The default behaviour is to fit as much as possible onto each line of output, even if this means splitting a word between one line and the next. The --wordwrap argument splits lines at spaces if possible. --justify After wrapping long lines, attempt to justify the text to produce a smooth right-hand margin. Implies --wordwrap. --reload SEC COMMAND Re-display the file(s) and run COMMAND every SEC seconds. The default is to never re-display the file(s). --shade Add black shading to the font. --outline Add a black outline to the font (making redraws quite a bit slower). --minspace Use minimum linespace even when using shading or outlining. This might result in leftover pixels (dependign on font and logfile con- tent). --noflicker Use slower but flicker-free update. --noinitial Don't display the end of the file(s) initially. -id ID Use the given window ID for output instead of the root window. -i | --interval SECONDS Use the specified sleeping interval between checks instead of the default 2.4 seconds. Fractional values are OK. -V Print version information. --frame Draw a frame around the selected area. This is useful when trying to find the perfect geometry. EXAMPLE
root-tail -g 800x250+100+50 -font 10x20 /var/log/messages,green -font 12x24 /var/log/secure,red,'ALERT' BUGS
Some desktop environments open a virtual root window and make it difficult to share it. If you cannot see anything after starting root- tail, try to find a setting "allow programs on desktop" or similar, or manually specify a window id. Should you happen to find any bugs please fix them and send me a diff. NOTE: This program was modified by Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>, who couldn't reach the original author. Please direct bug-reports etc. to pcg@goof.com. http://root-tail.plan9.de/ 4.2 Berkeley Distribution 2004-03-27 ROOTTAIL(1)