Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Processing data that contains space and quote delimiters Post 302432712 by dr.house on Saturday 26th of June 2010 02:35:48 AM
Old 06-26-2010
- Are the quotes always enclosing the same values?
- Could there be more than two quotes in one line?
- Do you want all parameters tested or only some?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove two delimiters, space and double quotes

I would like to know how to replace a space delimiter with a ^_ (\037) delimiter and a double quote delimiter while maintaining the spaces inside the double quotes. The double quote delimiter is only used on text fields. I'd prefer a one-liner, but could handle a function or script that accepts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteveDWin
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert data between comma delimiters-large file

Having a huge file in the following format. 2,3,1,,,4 1,2,3,,,,,5, 8,7,3,4,,,, Output needed is: 2,3,1,0.0,0.0,4 1,2,3,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,5, 8,7,3,4,0.0,0.0,0.0, I have tried reading the file each line, using AWK to parse to find out ",," and then insert 0.0 . It works but very slow. Need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing trailing space with single quote

Platform : RHEL 5.8 I want to end each line of this file with a single quote. $ cat hello.txt blueskies minnie mickey gravity snoopyAt VI editor's command mode, I have used the following command to replace the last character with a single quote. ~ ~ ~ :%s/$/'/gNow, the lines in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Delimiters with Space

Hi All, How to Replace the delimiter for a particular field. I have used awk to replace the field values based on the position, but I tried to remove/replace delimiters with space on particular positions. I tried tr command with combination of awk not sure if this is the correct way, but I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip the delimiter with in double quotes and count the number of delimiters during data extract

Hi All, I'm stuck-up in finding a way to skip the delimiter which come within double quotes using awk or any other better option. can someone please help me out. Below are the details: Delimited: | Sample data: 742433154|"SYN|THESIS MED CHEM PTY.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrahmaNaiduA
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Eval command with space, quote and bracket characters

Hi, I am Pradnya Gandhe trying to use in shell script. I want to use a bit complicated command using eval command in a shell script. <path to>\wsadmin.sh -lang jython -conntype NONE -c "AdminApp.install('war file path', '] -MapWebModToVH ] -MapRolesToUsers ] ]')" Works correctly as expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradnya Gandhe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Text::ParseWords(3pm)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = &nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = &shellwords(@lines); @words = &parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = &old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_lines(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_lines() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = &quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "&quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "&shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer is Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::ParseWords(3pm)