Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk for-loop and NR
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk for-loop and NR Post 302432619 by bartus11 on Friday 25th of June 2010 01:41:18 PM
Old 06-25-2010
First, in 99% of cases you don't wanna change NR during AWK execution. Second:
Code:
awk 'NR<=2{print >> "grid_ill_1.pts";next}{print >> "grid_ill_2.pts"}' grid_ill.pts

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a for loop

Hello, I am trying to use AWK to print only the first field of numerous text files, and then overwrite these files. They are of the format 1*2,3,4,5. I have tried the following code (using tcsh): foreach f (file1 file2 file3) cat $f | awk -F'*' '{print $1}' > $f end However, I get very... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for loop in awk?

I am new to unix and have pieced together two scripts that work independently. The first checks all the filesystems and reports which are running low on space. df -m | awk 'int($4) > 75 { print $1 " has only " $3 "mb free from a total of " $2 ", this filesystem is " $4 " full! \n" }... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bdawk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - loop from a to z

Hello, I was wondering if it is possible to do a loop on letters rather than numbers with awk (gawk). Basically I used to do: echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i=1;i<11;i++)print i}' But I would like to do something like that (which obviously does not work): echo "nothing" | gawk '{for(i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk within a for loop

Hello, I currently have managed to get an awk function working inside a for loop that allows me to combine two files based on their headings but what I have not been able to do is print the output to files with variable names. awk ' NR==FNR {a=$0; next} /^>/ {$0 = $0" "a;} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with For loop

Hi My Requirement is to take the sum of each column below is the input file. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 Initial i was using below command to achieve my desired result. however this was adding the row and not column. i am not able understand why this is happening awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptor
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk !seen[$]++ in else loop

Hi all, I was searching the net for a solution for my problem... unfortunately nothing so far. I want to sort on more than on column tab delimited file and keep the line if in the column I sort there is no value, but for those who have a value I want them only unique. I have tried the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksenia
5 Replies
PTS_QUIT(1)						       AFS Command Reference						       PTS_QUIT(1)

NAME
pts_quit - Exit from pts interactive mode SYNOPSIS
pts quit [-cell] <cell name> [-noauth] [-localauth] [-force] pts q [-c] <cell name> [-n] [-l] [-f] DESCRIPTION
The pts quit command exits from pts interactive mode. The command can be run from the command line or interactively, but on the command line it does nothing and is therefore of questionable utility. CAUTIONS
Prior to OpenAFS 1.4.5 and OpenAFS 1.5.23, the pts quit command was only available on Unix or Linux and when OpenAFS was compiled with the supergroups option (disabled by default). As of OpenAFS 1.4.5 and 1.5.23, it is always available. OPTIONS
Although they have no effect, pts quit takes the following standard pts options: -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. For more details, see pts(1). -force Enables the command to continue executing as far as possible when errors or other problems occur, rather than halting execution at the first error. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see pts(1). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity anonymous to the issuer. For more details, see pts(1). OUTPUT
This command produces no output. EXAMPLES
Here is an example of a pts interactive session: % pts interactive pts> quit % SEE ALSO
pts(1), pts_interactive(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007 Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> This documentation is covered by the BSD License as written in the doc/LICENSE file. This man page was written by Jason Edgecombe for OpenAFS. OpenAFS 2014-04-08 PTS_QUIT(1)