Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep only a string on command output Post 302432551 by bartus11 on Friday 25th of June 2010 09:59:56 AM
Old 06-25-2010
Code:
lsauth ALL | egrep '^string1$'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

piping the output of find command to grep

Hi, I did not understand why the following did not work out as I expected: find . -name "pqp.txt" | grep -v "Permission" I thought I would be able to catch whichever paths containing my pqp.txt file without receiving the display of messages such as "find: cannot access... Permisson... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and output filename

Hello, I have over 200 files and some of them have the string like "John price $200". I would like to grep the string. Then output the filename which found the string. I have the following script, but it ONLY output the string echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a specific line from grep output string

Dear All I want to search string "1000" from input file and if it found i want remove line that contain 1000 and also remove 3 line above it and 2 line below it. INPUT FILE: BHAT-D 2 aaa ID CODE GS UPDATE MODE LANG MCO MCL NUMPAGES 50 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep output as input for sed command

Hi, I would like to know if this is possible, and if so what can i do to make this work. I would like to grep a line X from fileA and then use the output to replace a word Y in fileB. grep "line X" fileA | sed -e 's/Y/X/g' > outfile this statement does not work, as i do not know how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
7 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to redirect grep command output to same file

Hi Everyone, Can anyone please tell me, how can I redirect the grep command output to same file. I am trying with below command but my original file contains no data after executing the command. $grep pattern file1 > file1 Kind Regards, Eswar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: picheswa
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep output to awk command

Hi Team(Solaris 5.8/Ksh), How can we save grep output to awk variable when grep returns more than one line or word. abc.log # more abc.log Hi Makarand How r u bye Makarand Hello when grep returns only 1 word below command works nawk -v var=`cat abc.log |grep "Hello"` 'BEGIN { if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for string and then output...

Hi all, I have a file: /var/log/lct/buildinformation I am trying to grep for string: MANUFACTURER : VMware, Inc. If it contains the string I want to output the results of:df -h |grep '/usr|/var' |awk '{print $6 " "$5}' If it does not have the above string to send a no vm found... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single grep to multiple strings with separate output per string

I need to grep multiple strings from a particular file. I found the use of egrep "String1|String2|String3" file.txt | wc-l Now what I'm really after is that I need to separate word count per each string found. I am trying to keep it to use the grep only 1 time. Can you guys help ? ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)