Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing password when changing the user account Post 302432520 by zaxxon on Friday 25th of June 2010 07:34:17 AM
Old 06-25-2010
I noticed a syntax error in the code I posted, sorry. It should be:
Code:
youruser     host = NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/sudo su - vobadmin

The dash belongs between the su and the username.

Quote:
Because as per our company policies, we may not be allowed to change it permanently.. If it's only one time attempt, then it'll will good for us..
That entry is permanently done using visudo and saved in the file /etc/sudoers.
If you want to disable it after your job is done you can just remark it by adding a # in front of the line and saving it.
Afaik there is no option to let that line perish when it has been used once.

If your user or the user you want to become (vobadmin) is able to use visudo, then it does not make much sense to remark the line, since this user could always enable it again, if permitted. Just a thought.

Anyway this is the link to the official documentation for sudo; maybe there is an option you'd like:
Sudoers Manual

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how can I change user name and password , of account ?

passwd only changes the password but i need to change the user name tnx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

2. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

3. AIX

changing unix user password using script

Hi sir, i need help in scripting.. i have 30 users like below eda01 eda02 eda03 eda04 ..... ...... eda30 I want to reset all users password start with eda01 until eda30 to default password 1234 how do i do this using script, i dunt want system prompt me for password.. i am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_um
5 Replies

4. Debian

password less login to root from a user account

hello friends, one user is created named "user1" I login as "user1" . Now when i do "su -" to be root user I have to give password for root . Is there any way through which we can skip giving the password to root. i.e. user1@work:~$ su - Password: xxxxxx work:~$ I don't want that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

5. Linux

Problem changing user password

Hi all, I'm having an issue resetting an Linux user password. As root, I type 'passwd <username>, enter the new password, but the user is still Access Denied. Can someone assist me in figuring this one out? The box is running "Linux trm62 2.4.21-15.ELsmp #1 SMP Thu Apr 22 00:18:24 EDT 2004... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris user changing password

i created 1 user . Now its passwd time period get expired. Now how can I set password for that user. Also how can I set a condition such a way that after every 3 months user must change his passwd. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajitkraj
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

block user account after failed password

hi guys I have Centos 5.4 The idea is lock the user account for 3 minutes after he has entered his password incorrectly 3 times. I've modified /etc/pam.d/system-auth auth required pam_tally.so onerr=fail per_user deny=3 account required pam_tally.so resetbesides... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kopper
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)