Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compare the similar files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare the similar files Post 302432335 by rdcwayx on Thursday 24th of June 2010 08:08:08 PM
Old 06-24-2010
compare the similar files

I got many pair files, which only have small difference, such as more space, or more empty line, and some unreadable characters.

If list by commend "diff", I can see many many difference.

So I'd like to write a script to compare the pair files, if 95% contents are same, I will think they are similar.

Any suggestion for it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare directories then move similar ones

I would like to know how to compare a listing of directories that begin with the same four numbers ie. /1234cat /1234tree /1234fish and move all these directories into one directory Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgibson2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing similar columns in two different files

Hi, I have two text files.The first and the 2nd file have data in the same format For e.g. The first file has table_name1 column1 sum(column1) max(column1) min(column1) table_name1 column2 sum(column2) max(column2) min(column2) table_name1 coulmn3 sum(column3) max(column3) min(column3) ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenating similar files in a directory

Hi, I am new in unix. I have below requirement: I have two files at the same directory location File1.txt and File2.txt (just an example, real scenario we might have File2 and File3 OR File6 and File7....) File1.txt has : header1 record1 trailer1 File2.txt has: header2 record2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepak62828r
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking to find files that are similar.

Hello all, I have a server that is running AIX, running a tool that converts various printstreams (AFP/Metadata) to PDF. This is done using a rexx script and an off the shelf utility. Each report (there's around 125) uses a certain script file, it's basically a text file. I am trying... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding similar strings between two files

Hi, I have a file1 like this: ABAT ABCA1 ABCC1 ABCC5 ABCC8 ABCE1 ABHD2 ABL1 CAMTA1 ACBD3 ACCN1 And I have a second file like this: chr19 46118590 46119564 MACS_peak_1499 3100.00 chr19 46122009 46148405 CYP2B7P1 -2445 chr1 7430312 7430990... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing files with sed or something similar

{ "AFafa": "FAFA","AFafa": "FAFA" "baseball":"soccer","wrestling":"dancing" "rhinos":"crocodiles","roles":"foodchain" } I need to insert a new line before the closing brackets "}" so that the final output looks like this: { "AFafa": "FAFA","AFafa": "FAFA"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Getting similar lines in two files

Hi, I need to compare the /etc/passwd files from 2 servers, and extract the users that are similar in these two files. I sorted the 2 files based on the user IDs (UID) (3rd column). I first sorted the files using the username (1st column), however when I use comm to compare the files there is no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to compare two files in UNIX using similar to vlookup?

Hi, I want to compare same column in two files, if values match then display the column or display "NA". Ex : File 1 : 123 abc xyz pqr File 2: 122 aab fdf pqr fff qqq rrr (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hkoshekay
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash selection of files with similar name

Hi all, This is my first day on Linux shell!!! So, I am trying to write a script that that will pick up pairs of files with the same name (not the same content) but that are different in one character (one is *R1 the other is *R2)... Something like: look ate the files, whenever they are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ALou
3 Replies
CUT-DIFF(1)							  Cutter's manual						       CUT-DIFF(1)

NAME
cut-diff - show difference between 2 files with color SYNOPSIS
cut-diff [option ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
cut-diff is a diff command that uses diff feature in Cutter. It shows difference with color. It's recommended that you use a normal diff(1) when you want to use with patch(1) or you don't need color. OPTIONS
--version cut-diff shows its own version and exits. -c [yes|true|no|false|auto], --color=[yes|true|no|false|auto] If 'yes' or 'true' is specified, cut-diff uses colorized output by escape sequence. If 'no' or 'false' is specified, cut-diff never use colorized output. If 'auto' or the option is omitted, cut-diff uses colorized output if available. The default is auto. -u, --unified cut-diff uses unified diff format. --context-lines=LINES Shows diff context around LINES. All lines are shown by default. When unified diff format is used, 3 lines are shown by default. --label=LABEL, -L=LABEL Uses LABEL as a header label. The first--label option value is used as file1's label and the second --label option value is used asfile2's label. Labels are the same as file names by default. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is 0 for success, non-0 otherwise. TODO: 0 for non-difference, 1 for difference and non-0 for errors. EXAMPLE
In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2: % cut-diff file1 file2 In the following example, cut-diff shows difference between file1 and file2 with unified diff format: % cut-diff -u file1 file2 SEE ALSO
diff(1) Cutter February 2011 CUT-DIFF(1)