Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting use awk pick value from lines as condition for grep Post 302432329 by jackoverflow on Thursday 24th of June 2010 06:37:58 PM
Old 06-24-2010
GREAT!! Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print lines based on string match on another line and condition

Hi folks, I have a text file that I need to parse, and I cant figure it out. The source is a report breaking down softwares from various companies with some basic info about them (see source snippet below). Ultimately what I want is an excel sheet with only Adobe and Microsoft software name and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl or awk remove empty lines when condition

Hi Everyone, # cat 1 a b b cc 1 2 3 3 3 4 55 5 a b (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Where condition in grep or awk?

Dear All, I need help.. I am having a csv file. Home_TITLE,People_TITLE,Repo_ALIAS HMN5530,RKY5807,/mine_repo/rike001 HMN5530,SRY6443,/mine_repo/rike001 HMN5530,ARDY001,/mine_repo/rike001 If i have two value in varible RKY5807, HMN5530. how can fetch and store another value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep certain lines with condition

file input aaaa,52C aaaa,50C bbbb,50C bbbb,58C aaaa,52C bbbb,50C aaaa,30C bbbb,58C cccc,60C i want to print uniq lines with its max value of column2 expected output aaaa,52C bbbb,58C cccc,60C tks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pick first "code" only [ grep/awk ]

All I have a requirement to search and pick the data as below. Explained with example. 38999|4812 Highway 52 North|Rockville|55901|0196 67541|2800 Dexter Road|Northville|38999|0196 This is pipe separate data. First column represents dealer id and 4th column represents the zip code where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have this list of files . Now I will have to pick the latest file based on some condition

3679 Jul 21 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07212014.log 0 Jul 22 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07222014.log 3679 Jul 23 23:59 belk_rpo_error_**po9324892**_07232014.log 22 Jul 22 06:30 belk_rpo_error_**po9324267**_07012014.log 0 Jul 20 05:50... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to capture lines that meet either condition

I am trying to modify and understand an awk written by @Scrutinizer The below awk will filter a list of 30,000 lines in the tab-delimited file. What I am having trouble with is adding a condition to SVTYPE=CNV that will only print that line if CI=,0.95: portion in blue in file is <1.9. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat lines based on condition

The awk below uses the tab-delimeted fileand reformats each line based on one of three conditions (rules). The 3 rules are for deletion (lines in blue), snv (line in red), and insertion (lines in green). I have included all possible combinations of lines from my actual data, which is very large.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)