Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replace 2 spaces by one
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace 2 spaces by one Post 302431809 by anushree.a on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 03:49:11 AM
Old 06-23-2010
replace 2 spaces by one

Dear Friends,
I have a flat file from which I want to remove single "space". And, wherever two spaces are provided it should replace it by only one space.

E.g.
I have
N A T I O N A L E D U C A T I O N F O R O R G AN I S A T I ON S
I want
NATIONAL EDUCATION FOR ORGANISATIONS

Please guide me.
Thank you in advance.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment I remember it is not the 1st time you are not using code tags and you collected several warnings/infractions because of this which are now expired of course. You also said once you will obeye this. Please recall this, ty.

Last edited by zaxxon; 06-23-2010 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces recursively

Hi, I have a directory with files and sub-directories (sub-directory depth might go upto 5). There will be one or more spaces (continuously or anywhere in the file name) which need to be replaced with HYPHENs. How can i replace all SPACE occurances with HYPHEN in file/dir names recursively. (2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces between charc and replace it with ','.

Hi, Below is my output file: (The below line has multiple spaces bet charc and I want to replace spaces with "," only for the first line) NYCCMS97KJ931 01-JUN-08 1214957 I want this to be: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smc3
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces

Hi guys, so I have another issue. Can I use sed to replace spaces in a string or variable with %20 I am having trouble with using curl on URL's containing spaces Thanks! (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace . with 100 spaces

i have a file like:: $ cat space asd fghj itkg now i want to replace the next line with . and thn this . with the 100 spaces. cat space | tr '\n' '.', it woked for me, to replce the new line to . Now i want to replace this . with 100 spaces. Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prashant Jain
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace characters with spaces between tag

I have a file where in some records are having the <Start> and <End> tag. There is data before the start tag , between the tages and after the End tag. I want to replace everything between the start & end tag with equivalent spaces. Input File afsdfaksddfs<start>12678<end>sgdfgdfsf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunrbs
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace spaces with '_' in a file?

Hello #I have a file with a list of sequences; the sequence name is the line starting with '>'. $cat infile >AluYa5 SINE1/7SL Homo sapiens ggccgggcgcggtggctcacgcctgtaatcccagcactttgggaggccgaggcgggcggatcacgaggtc aggagatcgagaccatcccggctaaaacggtgaaaccccgtctctactaaaaatacaaaaaattagccgg... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdhahbi
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace with spaces

Hi Guys file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/c104058/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.pngsed 's///g' /source/filename.txt > /destination/filename.txt The above code deletes the characters which are not A-Z, a-z and 0-9, but I wanted to replace it with space without deleting them. Any help is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces at a specific Location

Hello All, I have a comma separated file which needs to be loaded to the database. But, I need to trim the white spaces for a specific column before its loaded. Below is the sample line from the input file: 690,690,0575,"01011940","01011940", , , , , ,36720,36722,V2020,V2999,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveenkulkarni
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replace that has spaces

cat rf|nawk '/Use SSL= 0/{n+=1}{if (n==3){sub("Use SSL= 0","Use SSL= 0x1",$0)};print }' > rf2Fails. sed 's/Use SSL= 0/Use SSL= 0x1/g' rf > rf2Fails. In addition, the goal is to ONLY replace the 2nd occurence of the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfransix
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace two or more spaces with one comma?

I'm using sh on hp-ux. I've got a file that looks like this. -5.65 175 -16.17 160 -13.57 270 -51.72 260 -8.30 360 -42.71 460 -.38 375 -.20 375 -4.15 170 -21.53 560 -18.84 360 I'd like to replace all the whitespace between the columns with one comma. I can't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies
COLORGCCRC(5)							File Formats Manual						     COLORGCCRC(5)

NAME
colorgccrc - configuration file for colorgcc DESCRIPTION
A colorgccrc configuration file is used to configure the highlighting of the compiler output from colorgcc. SYNTAX
Each line consists of a keyword designating a configuration variable. The keyword is followed by `:' and then one or several values (depending on the keyword). Lines beginning with a hash mark `#' are comments. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
g++ | gcc | c++ | cc | g77 | gcj | gnat | gpc Specifies the paths to the compilers. Takes one value; a path to the compiler. nocolor Specifies what terminal types colorization should be disabled on. Takes one or several values, separated by whitespace. srcColor Specifies the highlighting attributes source-code should be given. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. introColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for normal compiler output. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningFileNameColor | errorFileNameColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the filename in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningNumberColor | errorNumberColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the line-number in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. warningMessageColor | errorMessageColor Specifies the highlighting attributes for the message-text in a warning or an error, respectively. Takes one or several color attributes. See the section COLOR ATTRIBUTES for more information. COLOR ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes are valid for highlighting. clear, reset bold, underline, underscore, blink, reverse, concealed black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white on_black, on_red, on_green, on_yellow, on_blue, on_magenta, on_cyan, on_white SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgcc(1) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCCRC(5)