Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Is there a limit for a code line length in C? Post 302431735 by Corona688 on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 09:25:24 PM
Old 06-22-2010
You may have to trace it in a debugger with memory watch and see when it changes. Or an analyzer like valgrind.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

2. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limit of command length

Hi! Can you please help me with one question? Does rexec command have some limitation of the length of the deliveded cmd? Thanks in advance, Anta (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Characters at specific position in a line if the line is certain length

I've got a file that would have lines similar to: 12345678 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 23456781 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 34567812 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 45678123 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

~ IPTables : Limit Incoming UDP Packets With a Certain Length ~

Hello, I am currently trying to limit incoming UDP length 20 packets on a per IP basis to 5 a second using IPTables on a Linux machine (CentOS 5.2). Basically, if an IP is sending more than 5 length 20 UDP packet a second to the local machine, I would like the machine to drop the excess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomboy123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK limit for (length) function?

I am trying to use the following code: awk '{s=$0;if(length(s) < 750){getline; s=s " " $0}printf("%s\n",s)}' filename but an error shows that 'awk' is too long. Is there a limit to the awk length function? and what could be an alternate solution for long fixed width records? The code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl file, one line code include "length, rindex, substr", slow

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt a;b;c;64O a;b;c;d;ee;f # cat a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $tmp3 = ",,a,,b,,c,,d,,e,,f,,"; open(my $FA, "a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\;/, $_); if ( ($tmp =~ m/^(64O)/i) || ($tmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

8. Programming

Limit line for perl

Hey guys, can help me out with this? How do i limit output for xml to 50 character? i tried *below* but doesnt work, it still print more than 50 characters. Thanks in advance printf "%-50s", "$testline\n"; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit string length with sed

Hi. I'm trying to learn sed. I want to limit the length of a string. I tried this: sed -n 's/^\(...........................\).*/\1/p' textfile.txt This works fine, but how do I give it as a range rather than putting a hundred dots? I'd like to limit the number of characters to 144 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troglodytes
3 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-a suffix_length] [-b byte_count[k|m]] [-l line_count] [-p pattern] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b Create smaller files byte_count bytes in length. If ``k'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If ``m'' is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. -l Create smaller files n lines in length. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the name argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with prefixes in the range of ``x-z'' and with suffixes as above. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
For historical reasons, if you specify name, split can only create 676 separate files. The default naming convention allows 2028 separate files. The -a option can be used to work around this limitation. The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
April 16, 1994 BSD