Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Is there a limit for a code line length in C? Post 302431666 by alex_5161 on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 12:31:29 PM
Old 06-22-2010
I have a source where some weird condition unstably produces the Segmentation Violation.
The error could disappeared or be moved into different place by adding/removing some line of code (some printf() and additional declaration/definitions.)
By 'dbx’, I see how some variable changed unexpectedly into impossible values.
I see the resulted change when the variable is used, but I can't catch when it is happening (the variable change itself!)
It still could be a logical error in code, but working on that problem already couple weeks (before last changes it works fine when I have removed all debug-statements) I start to think about some extreme situation, related to system (maybe our, maybe the standard one.)

I have reviewed today the code with expanded all macros (thanks to JohnGraham for advise how to do that!) and I see some line after that reach 4096 characters long and I am not sure by now if the line is braked in code or it is done by the editor (I use UltraEdit )
Just realized, that it is right - the lines are braked by the editor and actually, in code they are longer: the one I have reviewed now is 4096+1537 = 5633.
There are some code lines, consist of couple of 4096-chars lines.

Therefore, I've been thinking if a long code line in some situations comes across the processing memory, having the debug option is on...

(... Writing, I've thing that the memory for code and the processing memory used in different time... and debugging information does not include the '-E'-code lines, but just references to the original source file..., but ... not completely sure if the so long lines of code is not a reson of that error ...)

Therefore, I've asked this question trying to review any possibility for that error...

If you would have some idea or advise what else I could do to catch the error, I will appreciate to hear it very much!

Last edited by alex_5161; 06-22-2010 at 01:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep line length limit

Hi Friends, I am having a funny problem with grep. When I run grep 'expr' file.txt things work fine. But when try to get the line number using the -n option, i.e, grep -n 'expr' file.txt I get a message, "grep: 0652-226 Maximum line length of 2048 exceeded." If the line has more than... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnhegde
3 Replies

2. AIX

Is the Length of User ID for AIX Limit to 8 Characters?

Hi, I'm using AIX version 5.3 currently. I'm trying to create a user id, e.g. andyleong, which the system prompted the length is too long. 1. I would like to know is that the length of user id is limited to maximum 8 characters for AIX. 2. Is it apply to all versions of AIX? If no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meihua_t
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limit of command length

Hi! Can you please help me with one question? Does rexec command have some limitation of the length of the deliveded cmd? Thanks in advance, Anta (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting Characters at specific position in a line if the line is certain length

I've got a file that would have lines similar to: 12345678 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 23456781 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 34567812 x.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 45678123 x.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 x.00 xxx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00 xx.00... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
10 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

~ IPTables : Limit Incoming UDP Packets With a Certain Length ~

Hello, I am currently trying to limit incoming UDP length 20 packets on a per IP basis to 5 a second using IPTables on a Linux machine (CentOS 5.2). Basically, if an IP is sending more than 5 length 20 UDP packet a second to the local machine, I would like the machine to drop the excess... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomboy123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK limit for (length) function?

I am trying to use the following code: awk '{s=$0;if(length(s) < 750){getline; s=s " " $0}printf("%s\n",s)}' filename but an error shows that 'awk' is too long. Is there a limit to the awk length function? and what could be an alternate solution for long fixed width records? The code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl file, one line code include "length, rindex, substr", slow

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt a;b;c;64O a;b;c;d;ee;f # cat a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $tmp3 = ",,a,,b,,c,,d,,e,,f,,"; open(my $FA, "a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\;/, $_); if ( ($tmp =~ m/^(64O)/i) || ($tmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

8. Programming

Limit line for perl

Hey guys, can help me out with this? How do i limit output for xml to 50 character? i tried *below* but doesnt work, it still print more than 50 characters. Thanks in advance printf "%-50s", "$testline\n"; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1097
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit string length with sed

Hi. I'm trying to learn sed. I want to limit the length of a string. I tried this: sed -n 's/^\(...........................\).*/\1/p' textfile.txt This works fine, but how do I give it as a range rather than putting a hundred dots? I'd like to limit the number of characters to 144 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: troglodytes
3 Replies
OHCOUNT(1)							   User Commands							OHCOUNT(1)

NAME
ohcount - manual page for ohcount 3.0.0 SYNOPSIS
ohcount [option] [paths...] DESCRIPTION
Ohloh source code line counter command line tool. http://www.ohloh.net/ [option] can be one of the following: -a, --annotate -d, --detect -h, --help -i, --individual -l, --license -re -s, --summary -a, --annotate Show annotated source code The contents of all source code files found within the given paths will be emitted to stdout. Each line will be prefixed with a tab-delimited language name and semantic categorization (code, comment, or blank). -d, --detect Find source code files Recursively find all source code files within the given paths. For each source code file found, the file name will be emitted to stdout prefixed with a tab-delimited language name. -h, --help Display this message -i, --individual Count lines of code per file Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language per file. -l, --license Displays detected licensing information contained in each source code file. -re Prints raw entity information to the screen (mainly for debugging). -s, --summary Count lines of code (default) Count lines in all source code files within the given paths, and emit a report of the total number of lines of code, comments, and blanks in each language. This is the default action. [paths] can refer to any number of individual files or directories. Directories will be probed recursively. If no path is given, the current directory will be used. ohcount 3.0.0 September 2011 OHCOUNT(1)