Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to fix this awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to fix this awk Post 302431583 by Muthuraj K on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 07:42:09 AM
Old 06-22-2010
Thanks a lot Frank.. It worked.. I wanted to include this in my script and I did as shown below. But I get the syntax error as shown below. Any advise.

Below is the script awkMask
Code:
/./{
  type=substr($0,1,3)
  rec = $0
awk -F\* 'BEGIN{X="XXXXXXXXXX"}
/^BPR/{
n=length($10)-4
$10=substr(X,1,n) substr($10,n+1)
n=length($16)-4
$16=substr(X,1,n) substr($16,n+1)
}1' OFS="*" rec > output
}

I am trying to call this from the other script as shown below,
Code:
awk -f $base/scripts/awkMask $InputFile

I get the below error in my log file

Code:
  7834   syntax error The source line is 58.
  7835   The error context is
  7836          awk >>>  -F\ <<< * 'BEGIN{X="XXXXXXXXXX"}
  7837   awk: The statement cannot be correctly parsed.
  7838   The source line is 58.
  7839   syntax error The source line is 63.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk / shell - Fix broken lines and data

Gurus, I am struggling with a issue and thought I could use some of your expertise. Need Help with this I have a flat file that has millions of records 24|john|account ~ info |56| 25|kuo|account ~ journal |58| 27|kim|account ~ journal |59| 28|San|account ~ journal |60|... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rimss
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK record length fix

Hi Friends, Need some help in AWK. Working on AIX 5 Have been trying the following functionality to make the record length fixed: if( length(record) < 300 ) { printf("%-300s\n", record); } In my opinion it will apply some fillers in the end. Its is not making any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanu_pathak
4 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS Help!!! Can I fix this??

Well I got ZFS going almost in version one and didn't have the money to raid it or mirror it. I run off of 7 - 750GB-1TB USB drives and it's run great for over a year. Recently I needed to power off and move some stuff around and when I powered it back on I got this:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacakid
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to fix this awk script?

i have a log file while looks like this ++ user_a blabla blabla nas_b blabla user_d this is a user_a junk line another junk line user_c nas_m blabla ++ basically most of the lines contain a "user" keywords, and the rest of the lines do not have "user" at all. So I have the... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to fix the column length in a file using Awk Prog

Hi I use the following code to read the file and to fix the length of the column of the record in the file 'Sample.txt' ls Samp* | awk ' { a=$1 } END{ FS="n" for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) { while( getline < a ) { f1=$0; print("Line::",f1); f2=substr(f1,1,10) print("Field1::",f2);... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: meva
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fix timestamp with Sed or Awk

Hi I am dealing with the following string: Date: Thur, 13 March 2011 01:01:10 +0000 I asked for help in another topic that converted a similar string: Date: Thur, 13 March 2011 9:50 AM To a 24 hr standard. The problem is that it comes out as: Date: Thur, 13 March 2011 9:50:00 +0000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please help to fix awk script

Good morning, fellows. I would need to ask for your help in editing my awk script. Here is the original version: BEGIN { printf ("CRYST1 200.000 200.000 200.000 90.00 90.00 90.00 P 1 1\n") maxatoms=1000 natom=0 found_struct = 0 found_bond = 0 } { if( NF == 5 ) { foundff=0 natom++... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: snysmumrik
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me please to fix my error

Can you help me to fix my error please?! I checked the code and I think there is no mistake, but when I run it gives me error such line 1: /Users/Manu/trials/hosts: is a directory sort: open failed: /Users/Manu/trials/hosts/*: No such file or directory Help me please... mycode NAME value.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if condition match and fix print decimal place

Hi All, I have problem in the middle of implementing to users, whereby the complaint is all about the decimal place which is too long. I need two decimal places only, but the outcome from command is always fixed to 6. See the sample : before: Sort Total Site Sort SortName Parts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: horsepower
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk file subtracted by a fix value - conditioned

Hi all... i have been trying to make this work but I have been failing for 6 hours .. I know it should be something simple that I am missing to it would be great if you can help me ... I want to subtract a fixed value (lets set 1) from any value >=1 from the whole file my file looks like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD