Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Joining string on multiple files Post 302431448 by phoenix_nebula on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 02:30:36 AM
Old 06-22-2010
Use paste and later sort via first coloumn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining files based on multiple keys

I need a script (perl or awk..anything is fine) to join 3 files based on three key columns. The no of non-key columns can vary in each file. The columns are delimited by semicolon. For example, File1 Dim1;Dim2;Dim3;Fact1;Fact2;Fact3;Fact4;Fact5 ---- data delimited by semicolon --- ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebben
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multiple files into one while putting the filename in the file

Hello, I know how to join multiple files using the cat function. I want to do something a little more advanced. Basically I want to put the filename in the first column... One thing to note is that the file is tab delimited. e.g. file1.txt joe 1 4 5 6 7 3 manny 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help joining two files with a common string

Hi all, I have one file that is in the form: S0243K05_T7_S0243K05_|_BASS2243.C7_K05 groupVI. 88.76 S0137F20_SP6_S0137F20_|_BASS2137d.SPB2.2_C10 groupXXI 88.06 S0056F03_T7_S0056F03_|_BASS256c.C7_C02 groupXIX 85.99 S0056F03_T7_S0056F03_|_BASS256c.C7_C02 groupXIX 83.23... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Other alternative for joining together columns from multiple files

Hi again, I have monthly one-column files of roughly around 10 years. Is there a more efficient way to concatenate these files column-wise other than using paste command? For instance: file1.txt 12 13 15 12 file2.txt 14 15 18 19 file3.txt 20 21 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files tail on tail

I have 250 files that have 16 columns each - all numbered as follows stat.1000, stat.1001, stat.1002, stat.1003....stat.1250. I would like to join all 250 of them together tail by tail as follows. For example stat.1000 a b c d e f stat.1001 g h i j k l So that my output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Joining different columns from multiple files

Hello again, I am trying to join 3rd column of 3 files into the end on one file and save it separately... my data looks like this file 1 Bob, Green, 80 Mark, Brown, 70 Tina, Smith, 60 file 2 Bob, Green, 70 Mark, Brown, 60 Tina, Smith, 50 file 3 Bob, Green, 50 Mark, Brown,60 Tina,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

CSV joining and checking multiple files

Hello, For our work we use several scripts to gather/combine data for use in our webshop. Untill now we did not had any problems but since a couple days we noticed some mismatches between imports. It happened that several barcodes where matched even though it was a complete other product. Of... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
19 Replies
PASTE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste - paste multiple files together SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... OPTIONS
-d Set delimiter used to separate columns to list. -s Print files sequentially, file k on line k. EXAMPLES
paste file1 file2 # Print file1 in col 1, file2 in col 2 paste -s f1 f2 # Print f1 on line 1 and f2 on line 2 paste -d : file1 file2 # Print the lines separated by a colon DESCRIPTION
Paste concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files and writes them to standard output. The lines of the different files are separated by the delimiters given with the option -s. If no list is given, a tab is substituted for every linefeed, except the last one. If end-of-file is hit on an input file, subsequent lines are empty. Suppose a set of k files each has one word per line. Then the paste output will have k columns, with the contents of file j in column j. If the -s flag is given, then the first file is on line 1, the second file on line 2, etc. In effect, -s turns the output sideways. If a list of delimiters is given, they are used in turn. The C escape sequences , , \, and are used for linefeed, tab, backslash, and the null string, respectively. PASTE(1)