Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Limit ouput file on a shell script Post 302431260 by pointer on Monday 21st of June 2010 08:58:46 AM
Old 06-21-2010
Limit ouput file on a shell script

I have this one:Smilie doing jstack on JVM proccess.
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# ----------------------------------------------------
# capture_jstack.sh    <INTERVAL> <COUNT>
# run jstack and capture output to a log file
#-----------------------------------------------------
#
# scripts and logs are stored
export PROGDIR=/var/tmp/
export LOGDIR=/var/tmp/

# logfile name and location
export LOG_FILE=${LOGDIR}/capture_jstack.${LOGNAME}.log

# write current date/time to log file
echo "#--- $(date) ---"           >> ${LOG_FILE}
cd /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0/bin/amd64/
for  PID in `ps -ef|grep xxxxx|grep -v grep |awk '{print $2}'`; 
do jstack -m $PID >> ${LOG_FILE}
done;

How do I limit the output log file to 10MB round robin?Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags for scripts and other listings, ty

Last edited by pludi; 06-21-2010 at 10:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a limit to the no. of arguments to a shell script ?

What is the maximum no. of arguments that could be passed to a shell script ? Is there any restriction ? I've a requirement where I need to pass a list of names to a unix script and I guess the number of such names is not a fixed one. It can run into hundreds. Is this feasible ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hidnana
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to eliminate left and right fields and to get the ouput.

Hi Experts, I have a file as given below and want to filter out the filenames in it , by deleting left and right filds and to have the fllenames (There are spaces in the filename), Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0 /home/output/file2311_recent.list user1 user2 0 done Sun Jan 11 11:20:10 2009 1 0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

View ouput as a file

Hi all , I have a view in teradata , the ouput of that view have to be stored as a file with delimitere as '|'.Is there any possibility of doing this in unix ? Thanks in advance , Vinoth (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino.paal
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shell script 'set' argument limit?

Hi , I have a script that is causing a problem that led me to think if there is a limit to the number of arguments for 'set' command in csh shell script. Here is my script: #!/bin/csh -f set top = design_top #1 set v_mbist = ( sim_mbist/*.v ) #2 set v_simlist = ( -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove a file in shell script if its size exceeds limit?

How can i remove a file using shell script when its size exceeds 10MB. Given that file is located in different location to the shell script where it is running? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a Perl script within a bash script and store the ouput in a .txt file

I'm attempting to write a bash script that will create a network between virtual machines. It accepts three arguments: an RSpec that describes the network topology, and two list of machines (servers and clients). I have a (working) Perl script that I want to call. This Perl script takes an RSpec... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mecaka
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wget ouput to log file

Hi all The following code will update the Dynamic DNS server at Namecheap.com. wget -O 'https://dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com/update?host=www&domain=example.com&password=your DDNS password'Would like to append the output to a log file using >> /path/path/logfile at the end of the command. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRChamberlain
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting ouput into a file using redirection

Hallo Team, I would like to redirect an output from a file into another file. Here are the two commands/files. -bash-3.2$ cat lack.csv lemontwistpax -bash-3.2$ ll -ltr BW*|tail -1 -rw-r--r-- 1 mind mind 1844 Sep 25 12:06... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script has different ouput via cron vs when run Manually

Hello Lads, I deployed a script on my mac to start and stop EC2 instances on AWS console. The script when started manually on the terminal does the expected stop and start. Problem is when i try to schedule it on a cron, it fails to recognize the AWS Keys which i set up as ENV variable by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script ouput conversion

Hi All, I am trying to print all the packages info in solaris 11 using below script. #!/usr/bin/env bash pkginfo -l | egrep '(BASEDIR|NAME|VERSION)' | awk '{print}' > /tmp/cp1 /usr/bin/nawk -F: ' {for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {gsub (/^ *| *$/, "", $i) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
5 Replies